Thursday, August 23, 2012

You Know, We All Need Balance, Right?

I've mentioned several times that my friend Diana and I meet every other Wednesday to do a mini poetry "workshop."  Except it's not really a workshop because there are only two of us.  But basically, after we graduated with our MFAs in Poetry back in 2007, we found ourselves with no worldly desire to write (ha).  I've never been good in the absence of deadlines.  And so, in order to keep ourselves committed to that-which-we-went-into-debt-for, we started giving poetry assignments and meeting (initially with another friend of ours from grad school, too) on the regular to keep ourselves accountable.

Of course, these biweekly meetings consist of about 15 minutes of poetry and 2 hours of catching up, eating good food, laughing, etc.

Last night, Diana came over for our "workshop."  I made pizzas, she brought cupcakes, we spent a few minutes talking about our poems from that week, and then?  We did this:


That's right ladies: the Bachelor for Wii.  You get date cards, compete in challenges, and ultimately stand nervously through a rose ceremony where wii versions of real bachelors (Jason Mesnick, etc.) choose to keep you around or send you packing.  IT IS SO AWESOME.

Basically, I've been reading and feeling rage about this, spending my work days planning curriculum for our upcoming book about violence and displacement in Colombia, missing my grandma, etc. . . and so sometimes, you need to play a lil Bachelor wii. ;)

Even Matt got into it.

12 comments:

melifaif said...

lol.....no comment! :) I adore you...

Lindsey said...

This is the greatest game I've ever seen. I love that you found it and played it. I also love these little poetry workshops you have! So presh.

I also want to make a homemade pizza now.

HUNGRY and I just ate. Story of my life.

holli said...

Hi, i'm your newest follower. I used to live in San Jose during my junior high years. My job had me working a few years in Pleasanton so i have a big heart for San Fran. I'm so jealous! I live in Dallas where it's so hot. Love your blog. You can find me at www.hollishootsandhollers.blogspot.com

drollgirl said...

indulge in your wii game! escape is crucial to survival! I LOVE ESCAPE! that is why i like the internet, blogging, reading, art, etc. it is nice to venture off into fantasy land! at least sometimes. :)

and that akin comment!?!?!?!? omfg. unbelievable.

Megan said...

Time out is so important, especially when you are busy with heaps of other things! Plus you guys had good intentions so you get lots of bonus points for that! I have only briefly seen the Todd Akin issue but even just briefly reading about it infuriated me how can people be so ignorant augh!!!

Olivia.Dee said...

when i saw this in IG last night I seriously had a fit because I did not know such a game even existed! i'm so glad you took a time out to play this... because now I know about it!!!

Deals, Steals and Heels said...

i don't even WATCH the bachelor and i want to play this game!! terrible wii games are basically the most fun thing ever. except wii jenga, BECAUSE IT IS THE HARDEST GAME ON THE PLANET.

Marz said...

I went to school to be a journalist because ever since I was 10 I wanted to be a reporter for the newspaper. After racking up debt and graduation, I also had NO desire to write haha I think that's why I'm so thankful for blogging, because it's my mini workshop. I think that's so awesome that you and Diana do that, even if you don't "really" do that at the workshops all the time ;) haha That pic of Matt so into Wii Bachelor is the greatest picture ever!!! I LOVE it :) Although I don't know if I could take that kind of rejection if I didn't get a rose, even from a Wii Bachelor!! HAHA ;) I'm crossing my fingers for Lochte to be the next Bachelor! ;)

robayre said...

Okay, Matt playing Wii Bachelor while also reading Child Psychology and Development for Dummies. There has to be something really hilarious and witty to be said about this, but I just don't have it in me right now.

Micaela said...

i love EVERYTHING about this blog post :) especially Matt's determined expression. ha

sounds like the perfect kind of balance to me xoxo

Katie Price said...

Wow, wonders never cease. Who knew there was a wii Bachelor game? And please tell me it was Matt who named his character Destiny!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Haha! This totally makes me want to get a wii again! Love the Bachelor.