Friday, October 19, 2012

A List of Miscellany

On Tuesday, my colleague and I had a meeting with a man from a partnering agency who seemed to know everything.  I've happened upon him a few different times in the past couple of years, at conferences and what not, and I'm always stunned by his intelligence and the sheer amount of information floating around in its head.  I mean, I'd ask about something we were talking about, and he'd say, Oh, watch so-and-so's documentary series about the Holocaust, episode 3.  Or, there was an article in the LA Times about this very issue--I'll send you the link.  It's incredible.

But then a woman walked into the coffee shop and greeted him like an old friend, and he couldn't remember her name.  It was as if he'd used up all his head space on more important things, or something . . . in any case, all this is to say that I feel like this week has left me without much headspace.  So here's a list of miscellany for you this Friday:

1. Tonight, Matt and I watched Drive.  Have you seen it?  Someone had recommended it to me (but my crowded brain won't let me remember who--who among you asked me if I'd seen it??), and given that it stars Ryan Gosling, I jumped on that train quick.  It was incredibly gory--like excessively so, I'd say--but otherwise, a really good movie.  And the main character looks like this:


So there's that.

2.  I'm feeling a bit anxious about the end of campaign season.  We only get presidential debates every four years, and I eat it up.  I love the news stories, the gaffes, the poll peaks and dips . . . all of it.  And while there's a big part of me that's excited for November 6th, I know that the next day will feel like the day after Christmas . . . times four.  

3. I got to book a work trip to Vegas for next month, and Lord knows I'm psyched about getting to hang out & cause destruction with this girl:


I'm also excited for the National Council of Teachers of English Conference, of course. ;) Despite my opposition to their use of the same preposition on either side of a word.  Pet peeve, folks.

4.  I was IMing with my sister and my brother-in-law at the same time today, and with their chat windows side-by-side, I couldn't help but giggle at their avatars:

huge dog looking straight ahead // huge dog in profile

5. Okay it's 2 am, and I have to leave here at 7:30 am tomorrow, so I need to go the F to sleep.  If only I were as sleepy at night as I am in the mornings!  The curse of the insomniac.  

Happy Friday, everyone!  

Oh, and thank you all so much for your incredible support on this post.  It helped me so much!  I intend to reply back to each of you, and although I'm a little behind, don't think your words of encouragement didn't mean the world to me!

8 comments:

Megan said...

I know so many people who are just beyond intelligent but when it comes to common knowledge or just the day to day they fail to register, its incredible!
Vegas I am so incredibly jealous getting to drink cocktails and shop at the same time - yes please!

AmericanBridget (Jones) said...

Happy Friday Claire!!!!!! If you ever book a work trip to Dallas you can bet your bottom dollar we'll have to hang out!

robayre said...

I recently saw this too. It totally looked like a movie I wouldn't want to see, being named Drive and it was about a stunt driver and get away car guy (I hate cars and driving) but then I kept reading the description and it said it had Carey Mulligan and sounded like it was actually a romance so I gave it a try. WOAH! Yeah, crazy bloody. Who knew? I sure didn't.

smk053078 said...

Girl, I need to watch me some drive just for the eye candy...that pic...oh that pic of Ryan. That boy has had me since The Notebook. And how fun is your Vegas trip going to be? Jealous! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! New reader! Holla!

Chic 'n Cheap Living said...

Ahh we all have limited head space right? It is all about the things that need to REMAIN in the sponge!
Anyway, I remember reading somewhere that "Drive" was like a long music video with no music. It was pretty interesting and of course Ryan Gosling is awesome.
Aww and now I want to change my profile picture so my husband and I have similar ones!

xoxo,
Chic 'n Cheap Living

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Vegas will be a blast!!!!

drollgirl said...

1) I loved DRIVE. i watched it twice. VERY good.

2) The debates stress me out, but I am so glad Obama rocked the last two debates. I hope Obama is re-elected. If not, we are DOOMED. We survived the Bush era, but who wants to go through that kind of crap again?!?!?!

3) Vegas. Oh my. And your preposition comment made me cackle. I am not much of a writer (see MY BLOG), but this made me laugh anyway, probably because I am guilty of using a prep on either side of a word, too.

4)HA!

5) The joys of insomnia. My latest thing is to get up about 8 times every night. FUN!

Lindsey said...

ummm good thing I decided to stalk your blog because look at my SHOUT OUT!!! I'm so pumped too!! I seriously cannot wait. I've already alerted security. We may need an ambulance. #float