Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Do you love where you live?

Sometimes, it's easy to miss the magic of your own city.  I think I did this to some degree when I lived in New Orleans.  I catch myself taking the Bay Area for granted, sometimes, as well . . . and then someone comes to visit, and I show them the sights, and I rediscover all the beauty that is here.

On Monday, I had a fall-in-love-with-San-Francisco day all on my own.  Our office is in the hipster-chic Mission District, where my colleagues and I had a ridiculously good lunch at tacolicious.  We split butternut squash & poblano pepper tacos, plantains, and a raw kale salad.  I was happy as a clam.  After lunch, I left the office to head all the way across the city to drop some books off at an office in the Presidio.  At first, I grumbled about having to drive clear across SF . . . but I quickly got over my frustration when I realized what a gorgeous day it was.  Here are some pictures I snapped (with my iphone and with no filter): 

taken at West Beach, Crissy Field

view of SF houses from the Presidio

it's always pretty where the rich people live ;)

lookin out over Alcatraz (and the Pacific Ocean)

When I got home, I was sort of giddy.  The weather was impeccable, the sky was clear and blue, and my love for San Francisco had been reinvigorated.  We complain about sky-high rents, $6 toll bridges, gas prices in California, etc. etc. . . but ultimately, it is worth it.  It's so worth it.  Just look.

Not to mention, the World Series commences in our very own city at 5 pm Pacific time, tonight!  

Do you love where you live?

17 comments:

Ally said...

These pictures are absolutely gorgeous! I've never gotten the chance to live in California, but I always fall in love when I visit.

Dancing Branflake said...

Crickey those are beautiful photos! I do love where I live. I realized that yesterday as the clouds, too, were so gorgeous over Sacramento.

Dee Stephens said...

I adore the Bay Area. Our friends live in the Marina but use to live right around the Presidio in PH. Walking distance to Crissy Field.
Love.it.there.

Kathy said...

great pictures!! i love where i live (toronto)... there's always so much to do around the city. the only thing i don't love is the weather (cold right now)

AmericanBridget (Jones) said...

I miss where you live....I LOVED IT OUT THERE. Dallas ain't bad, but no where near SF!!

zen said...

I just moved to the bay area and I have nothing bad to say :)

SF is lovely... No fog in the first photo! Wow!

--
Reading via the NuffnangX app- follow your favorite bloggers on the go!

elizalouise.bell said...

I feel like I took SF for granted when I was there. I miss it everyday of my life.

Love these pics.
ALSO jealous of where you work...love the Mission!

i couldn't help but wonder...

The Poppy Creative said...

I love the city you live. Thats one of the the things that I am always a little sad about, that I only planned to spend 3 days there when I last visited the US. Next time, I will be staying a lot longer. It stole my heart.

Wellington, NZ is pretty darn cool though. Like you, I find myself taking my beautiful little city for granted often. Then I walk around and im like, this place is amazing. I think its all about perspective, sometimes we just need to shift.

undomestic chica said...

How long does it take to get from one side of the city to the other?

GirlieBlogger@Beauty Fashion Blog Seattle said...

San Francisco was love at first sight for me. But I also love Seattle.

Tiffany said...

LOVE these pictures. San Francisco is my favorite city. Makes me miss it even more!

~Tiffany
http://tiffanyd22.blogspot.com

Deals, Steals and Heels said...

i used to be just "eh" about my little corner of the peach state, but now that i'm older? i LOVE it. it's home, it's always been home...and it might always be home. i hate it when people say there's nothing to do here...yeah, it's not a big place like atlanta, BUT if you look, you'll find we've got a lot.

and atlanta is only 100 miles away, which helps.

but i do have to say...i did fall a little in love with your city when i visited!

Brooke said...

Live California ! So much to see and do !

Megan said...

You really do live in a beautiful city!! I love Canberra, people think its a boring city but I love it's quiet nature and beautiful surroundings.

Christina said...

Wow, what a pretty day. It's always overcast when I'm there. :( I find myself falling in love with Seattle a few times a year. It's a pretty great place to be!

drollgirl said...

i was in sf a couple of weekends ago. the weather was PERFECT. absolutely glorious, beautiful and perfect.

BUT. the driving. omfg, i cannot even tell you how much i hate driving in sf! it gives me a heart attack!!!!

i love where i live. i just love it. but the driving kills me a little more each day. i suffer through the driving because everything else is so fab. BUT THE DRIVING. lordy. it is brutal in most big cities.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I love love love SF! I haven't been over there in a few weeks and this post makes me want to come over next weekend!