Monday, October 8, 2012

This weekend was a jammer . . .

I'm obviously getting old, because after three straight days of go-go-go, I was basically ready to crash!  I hardly had the energy to keep my head up on Sunday for what turned out to be a legendary football game.  Finally!  More on that later.  

My beautiful cousins, Jennifer and Ashley, were in town visiting from Georgia, and given that one of them had never been to the west coast before, much less San Francisco, I had to show them a good time.  Starting with Napa, obviously (well, after I took them to Baker Beach on the way back from the airport).  

Here we are at my new favorite winery, O'Brien Estate:

liked it so much that I joined the wine club

We had a hilarious, attentive, knowledgeable, down-to-earth tour guide, and we tasted all kinds of delicious reds.  All their wines are estate (grown/made on their property), and their wine club is totally reasonable.  So glad Jennifer found this gem of a winery via Trip Advisor!

After O'Brien, we headed over to my favorite restaurant ever, Rutherford Grill, where I had, you guessed it . . . kale salad.  And a veggie burger.  But the kale salad is always the highlight:


I'm gonna be dreaming about it for the next few weeks.  Anyone wanna go to O'Brien with me (free wine tastings for me + friends now that I'm a member) and then have lunch at Rutherford?!?!

Since Saturday was the annual Teachers 4 Social Justice Conference in San Francisco, I had to spend my day peddling books & networking with teachers instead of touring SF on a double-decker bus with Ashley and Jennifer.  But at least they got to see all the hot spots and beautiful views. Meanwhile, this was my sole view the entire day:


On Saturday night, we celebrated Matt's darling son's 9th birthday with pizza, cupcakes, and wine (for the adults, that is).  

By Sunday, we were all pretty exhausted, but I had to drive the girls through downtown Berkeley in order for them to get the full Bay Area experience.  We had coffee in Oakland, shopped in Emeryville, and eventually I took them to their hotel by the airport (they stayed in a hotel in South SF the last night since their flight was at the crack of dawn this morning).  It was sad saying goodbye, and my house feels empty without them.  Here are a few more of Ashley's pics from the weekend (she's the one with the good camera):

At 21st Amendment: only one of these was mine--promise! 

Man, I live in a pretty place . . . 

Sisters at the Pier

Our first stop post-airport

Me in my natural habitat

with one of the owners at O'Brien and her special rose

Ashley at Cosentino

Jennifer & a cable car

A lone Blue Angel.  It was Fleet Week!

Our fantastic weekend was topped off with the first Saints win of the season and a new record for Drew Brees, reigning king of NFL records: 48 straight games of throwing at least one touchdown pass!  What a legend, that one is.  

Tell me about your weekend, and/or link up here:

20 comments:

The Poppy Creative said...

You do live in a pretty place. The prettiest. I miss it so much.

Kim @ wanderlustee.com said...

what a great weekend!!! glad you had such a good time (but yeah, id be ready to crash too!!)

Lesley said...

SO glad you had a great time. sounds like an amazing (and busy) weekend! xo
and you all look simply beautiful!

Alisa Marie said...

Looks like so much fun! I was just in SF a couple weeks ago and we went to Napa, that's so awesome that you live there! I can't wait for my next trip!

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

WHO DAT!!!! So glad I have you to text during games. You're the only one who understands my stress level. Can you believe both of our boys are hurt? Thank God for the bye next week so they can heal.

You look so pretty in all of these pics. It's obvious that you all are having a blast. So glad you were able to enjoy your weekend. Thanks for linking up with us :)

undomestic chica said...

Looks like you had such a fun weekend! I'm jealous.

Dee Stephens said...

Our original plan(before pregnancy)was to fly out there today and spend the week in the city with our friends then go to my other friend's wedding in Pebble this coming weekend.
Decided it was too much being 32 weeks pregnant and coming from another wedding this past weekend.
Love me some Rutherford too, but I think I've told you that before :)

holli said...

You just described the most perfect weekend (well minus the day with school books). I love SF and the wineries. I love reading your blog! and plus you're my SOA buddy ( cant wait for tomorrow).

Lindsey said...

I'm excited for you for the saints win! Holla. I liked your "me in my natural habitat" picture as well. You and me both. All the food you described sounded mighty healthy aka kale salad. I never have had kale before. Gasp. It scares me. What does it taste like?

Your cousins and you look super cute. Love all the pics. Can't wait until you get to take me on the same tours!

Deals, Steals and Heels said...

i am loving those shades on you lady!! too bad flights are pricey, or i'd be ALL over some free wine tastings with you =)

Micaela said...

what a great weekend surrounded by your beautiful city and family (you girls look great!-- love that photo of you in your natural habitat)

next time i'm in town, promise me you'll take me to enjoy that kale salad?

aww this makes me miss our summers together. <3

Holly said...

what a good tour guide you are!! with everything going on in sf this past weekend i would have been like "we are just going to the movies"

and joining a wine club? bravo. i feel that is the ultimate adult step. haha :)

mommyspice said...

It looks like you had a great weekend! We just joined the Peterson Winery club in Healdsburg...mmmmmmm....wine.... :) I can't wait to head back up there.

kimbirdy said...

oh claire, i had to come over to your blog to tell you i've been thinking about you a lot today, because...
1. this weekend i just started watching sons of anarchy. i'm at the end of season one already - SO good!
2. pretty much every scene in SoA is my neighborhood - they film it right here, so if you ever want to come visit during filming season, let me know. :)
3. i see mark boone junior riding a harley down my street all the time, so he must live close. i just never knew he was an actor until this weekend when i said "hey!! that's our neighbor!"
4. this morning when i was trying to reach something at target a kind gentleman offered to help. i looked up to see theo rossi in all his mohawk handsomeness. he was very sweet and soft spoken. swoon! (although he was buying a lot of facial care products which reminded me that he's actually an actor, not a hard core biker guy.)

so you can see why i've thought a lot about you recently. by the by, have you seen the movie "frankie go boom?" charlie hunnam is the main actor and he's hilarious after seeing him in SoA - he plays a very different character in the movie.

hope you are well my dear!

drollgirl said...

your weekend was better than mine!

that kale salad looks scrumptious!!! my kale salads are only SO-SO!

i love ashley's striped outfit! so cute!!!!

and i love shopping in emeryville. there is a store called the gardener that i just LOVE!!!!

melifaif said...

How gorgeous is that 1st pic of you and your gal cousins!?! Sooo pretty. That's a lifetime framer. :) I so want to come with you and do all that. One day, one day.....oh one day!!!! Me, you and Lindsay!!! And naners, if she'll have me. bwahahaha!

Megan said...

oh my gosh I want to be drinking wine with all of you :) these photos are gorgeous, what a beautiful family.

Marz said...

Gorgeous photos of gorgeous girls in your gorgeous city! It's surreal that you live there :) I miss it so much!!! Seeing the pic of Haight Ashbury makes me think of Jessie getting a tattoo on the whim! :) Love it!

Kristin W said...

Whoa! Did you get a new camera? These pictures are amazing! I'm in love with the first one. Oh and that one of you at 21st A really makes me reminisce :)

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Wasn't it crush weekend last week? It looks like you had a great time at the winery! I love that photo of the bridge!