Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Beauty Rituals

The more I read bloggers' posts on their beauty rituals and favorite products, the more I think about what I do (and don't do) on the reg. For instance:

*I don't have a face wash I swear by. I'm currently using a combination of Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash and Biore Warming Anti-Blackhead Cream Cleanser, but frankly. . . I'm not that picky.

*I don't use the same shampoo all the time. In fact, I used to care a lot and would only buy fancy stuff like Bumble & Bumble or Redken. But in the past couple years I've accepted that I can't afford fancy everything, so now I mostly use TreSemme or the organic stuff from Whole Foods.

*I do care very much about foundation! I hate the idea of thick, runny drugstore foundation (omg remember the way Cover Girl foundation smelled in the 90's? Does it still smell that way? The horror!). I use a tinted moisturizer + mineral powder and that is generally it for foundation.

This is my fave: sephora.com

*Eyeshadow is the most important part of my makeup routine. I mix it up a little, but tend to stay with browns and purples (I have green eyes). I love my Naked 2 Palette that my sister and brother-in-law got me for my birthday, and I use Maybelline's Color Tattoo in Pomegranate Punk (it's purple, I promise!) almost every day as well. I really want some more of them (Audacious Asphalt, Bad to the Bronze, Tough as Taupe, and Bold Gold are in my wheelhouse). Also: e.l.f. has really great, cheap mineral eyeshadow! I have three purple shades & they're solid. 

*I've been using Crest Whitestrips (thanks to Influenster) and am really impressed with the results. My teeth are sorta high risk because I drink coffee every day & plenty of red wine. ;) I haven't used them every single night, but I've been pretty regular with them, and I can definitely see a change in my teeth: they really are visibly whiter. 


The only trouble I have is that they leave my teeth feeling quite sore. I asked the darling Brianna about this (since she is a dental hygienist), and she recommended taking an Advil right before applying the strips and/or the next day when they're hurting. That's definitely brought me some relief. In-office whitening treatments are SO EXPENSIVE that they're totally out of the question for me. Since these Crest Whitestrips really do work, I'll be using them again for sure . . . just buying a bottle of ibuprofen along with them. ;)

Tell me about your beauty routines! What are your do's and don'ts?

*p.s. You really should join Influenster if you haven't already. So fun to test products for review!

19 comments:

Karen Albert said...

Claire I have my tried and trues; then in things like face moisturizer and anti-aging I like to try new products! I am checking out Influenster!

xoxo
Karena
2012 Artists Series & Giveaway

Erin @ Sassin Southern Style said...

I also am not picky about shampoo or face wash. I do swear by UD Primer Potion in Eden, an eyelash curler and Revlon PhotoReady 3D Volume mascara. I'm also a huge fan of Wet & Wild eyeshadows which have better pigmentation and are longer lasting than many of my higher end eyeshadows.

undomestic mama said...

Make sure you don't leave the strips on longer than it says to also. I've done that a few times and I definitely feel a difference in how sore my teeth are - even if it's only 2 minutes because I lose track of time!

Kim @ wanderlustee.com said...

i'm not picky at all! i don't wear ANY makeup! i wish i did but im just so tired in the mornings i don't have time!

regarding whitestrips, ohmygawww i couldnt even use them for more than a day at a time and then not the next day bc they hurt my teeth so bad! i read recommendations to use sensodyne for a month or so before trying them so i've been doing that the past 3 weeks and we'll see if that makes a difference! groupon always has really good deals for in-office whitening in NYC (like $100) but i'm so terrified i wont even be able to sit through the whole process!! i guess for $100 it's worth the risk though! lol

drollgirl said...

i used to buy frederic fekkai hair products. i loved them, and how good they smelled, but WAY TOO EXPENSIVE. now i do the pantene and dove thing. who cares! it works! i spend a fortune on cut and color, and then i go cheap on the hair products. go figure! but it works for me!

makeup. oh how i love it!!! foundation is key. i use a light clinique foundation (since my favorite lancome was discontinued and I CANNOT FACE -- lol -- trying to go through the stupid process of finding the perfect replacement) with a little bare minerals over it. i have another powder i put on top that makes my face glow. i can't think of the name of it, but it is AWESOME for when your skin is getting older and less nice. :[

eyeshadow is my favorite makeup product! lip gloss is important too. well, it is all important!

i could go on and on but i'll spare you!

and TEETH WHITENER. i have heard the teeth whitener in dentist's offices contain carcinogenics, so i steer clear. sadly my teeth are not white -- not even close -- but i chose to stay away from that stuff for now. i have heard so many say that it hurts there teeth. that does not sound good to me!!!!!!! but what do i know?!

drollgirl said...

THEIR not THERE. argh!

Deals, Steals and Heels said...

legit, color tattoo shadows are my FAVORITE THING EVER. i wear bad to the bronze probably 5 out of 7 days a week (or 5 out of any 7 times i wear makeup). tough as taupe is a pretty great greyish neutral too. i have pom punk, because i have hazel eyes and i thought it would bring out the green...but i can't make it look right! i'm still fighting the good fight though.

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

You're actually supposed to switch up shampoos... and I don't buy the fancy stuff either ;-)

Chic 'n Cheap Living said...

I love both Bare Escentuals and Crest Whitestrips. The latter have kept my teeth white YEARS after I first used them! i definitely recommend them!

xoxo,
Chic 'n Cheap Living

Christina said...

I feel the same way about foundation and love Bare Minerals! I am picky about hair products, but not makeup. I'll try anything. I need to pick up some of that Color Tattoo. There are some pretty colors. The Advil tip sounds perfect. I use Crest Whitestrips once a year and usually feel some pain after a week, then just use them every other day.

Micaela said...

Unfortunately with my acne scars (thank-you pregnancy) i have to cake on my make-up :(

i first spray on urban decay's de slick spray (i also spray it on afterwards). I use Rimmel's Fix & Perfect foundation primer followed by Revlon's Photo Ready Foundation (i love it!). For concealer, i always use cover girl's stick and i swear by l'oreal's mineral powder. Gosh, writing how many layers i put on is pretty crazy. I love Laura Geller cosmetics for my blush.

i am not picky about my hair (right now i'm using pantene but i do love herbal essence and i actually really hated organix) though i have to use a serum (i like the brand Rusk) before i blowdry my hair because i also use my hot iron.

i still remember what you said about e.l.f. eye shadows and i'm keeping that in mind the next time mine runs out. Faiza loves their line too :)

ps. I still need to find out how Influenster works!

Shoshanah said...

I used to use whitestrips in high school, and broke them out again this past summer before the wedding. I couldn't believe how sore my teeth felt afterwards, and definitely don't remember that being the case when I used them before. But even so they're kind of a pain, I have no problem continuing to use them.

sheba said...

someone turned me on to suave's shampoo and conditioner and i have to say i love the rosemary+mint line. it smells just like aveda's! i also love e.l.f.'s tinted moisturizers. for $3 how can a girl go wrong?

Kathy said...

i have a whole box of whitestrips i've never touched but i'm worried it might hurt my gums... maybe i'll look into this too. do you still drink coffee even though you use these?

i use a natural shampoo. i've noticed that since i've switched from pantene or whatever i got from the drugstore, i actually don't have to wash my hair every day. when i used that other stuff, i felt like i needed to wash my hair daily because it felt so greasy if i didn't.

Belen said...

I love my facewash (which I forgot the name of.. hahaha). Im down for cheaper shampoo too. Right now I use Aussie, but I realize I think I need to tone it down on how often I condition my hair. I need to learn that shampooing can sometimes be all I need to do. I'm not really familiar with foundation because it's only this past year that I realized I liked (and needed) eyeliner and blush. I want to figure out foundation, but then I'm afraid I'll become so attached I can't leave the house without wearing it, yknow?

Miss Caitlin S. said...

I change my shampoo a lot too! And I usually try a new face wash every now and again just because I want to try them all.

I do need to find a new foundation- so far I haven't found 'the one' - and I would just love to.

Yeah, I hate the sore teeth after the white strips, annoying! But as a coffee and red-wine drinker, I use them a lot myself :)

Athanasia said...

Try the aquafresh whitening trays, there are 7 in a box but I usually use just 3 and keep the rest for another time.. They are amazing, you can tell the difference from day one and the result lasts longer than the crest strips :)

Leesh said...

I was obsessed with whitestrips before I always got compliments on how white my teeth were. I stopped using it and I don't get the compliments anymore, lol! I didn't even use it everyday but it sure made a difference. I think I might start using it again.

I don't like using the same shampoo all the time, I feel like I have to switch it up every few days.

Leesh said...

I was obsessed with whitestrips before I always got compliments on how white my teeth were. I stopped using it and I don't get the compliments anymore, lol! I didn't even use it everyday but it sure made a difference. I think I might start using it again.

I don't like using the same shampoo all the time, I feel like I have to switch it up every few days.