Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Alternative Gift Guide

Hunting for the perfect gift is simultaneously one of the most fun and stressful pre-Christmas activities. There's nothing like buying a gift you just know the recipient is gonna love, but then there's that dreadful scrambling-for-a-gift that inevitably results in spending a billion last-minute dollars on something of questionable value.

This year my family made really specific lists, so there hasn't been a lot of mystery involved. Matt was sort of puzzled by this . . . he said in his family, they don't make lists; rather, they seek out unique gifts they hope (but don't know) that each other will like. Somehow, that way sort of retains the magic, I think. I've already proposed to my family that we abandon lists next year.

I'm pretty much done shopping, but here are some things I think would make excellent, slightly-outside-the-mainstream gifts:

What a hilarious way to drink your coffee, right? Perfect gift/stocking stuffer for your coffee drinking brother/sister/spouse/mom/dad with a sense of humor and an appreciation for decorative motherfuckin' gourd season.
Where to buy: McSweeney's 
Price: $12

Source: fab.com via Claire on Pinterest
Okay so the truth is that I really really really want this shirt. 
Where to buy: fab.com
Price: $19.50

Source: fab.com via Claire on Pinterest
This ring is pretty f'ing sweet, and they have it in NYC, London, and Seattle as well (though I had to feature San Francisco, duh!)
Where to buy: fab.com
Price: $70

Okay so this is Voice of Witness' newest title and I work for Voice of Witness . . . but damn if it isn't an incredible book. It's our first book that's primarily photography-based, and it documents the photos and stories of refugees as they first arrive in the United States.
Where to buy: McSweeney's
Price: $25


If there's anyone in your life who loves Sons of Anarchy and has a new baby, he or she needs this (it comes in pink, too).
Where to buy: FX Shop
Price: $9.95

Have you bought any gifts that are funny, clever, edgy, or that you're particularly proud of this year? Tell me about them! And happy blinged out tree season, motherfuckers.

18 comments:

Kathy said...

omg i WANT that shirt!!!!!!!

my husband bought a SoA tshirt and wore it when he had his Movember stache & he looked like he was part of the Sons haha

Chic 'n Cheap Living said...

That ring is SO awesome! I am making a gift guide now and may need to steal that. I also found awesome things on Fab to gift like sriracha popcorn! I seriously ordered some for my bestie and FAB tweeted that I should get her to share some with me!

xoxo,
Chic 'n Cheap Living

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

I totally need that mug, lol.

undomestic mama said...

I want that shirt too, except I'd rather it didn't really spell out fuck, I feel weird wearing swear words on my shirt around my kids....even though they can't read. But, I NEED that Seattle ring. It's totally worth $70, right? Somehow I doubt anyone would buy it for me.

Meg O. said...

LOL that mug is freaking fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!

Angelina Medina said...

My son had the beenie when he was first born. Can we talk about last nights episode?! WTF?! I mean WOW. #teamtara

The Poppy Creative said...

the SOA beanie! So cute. And I want that shirt too. Ohhh and the book. It all looks amazing. Oh man, I cant believe it is christmas already!

Also! I need to watch the episode that was screened last night. i think that will happen tonight. Im excited.

Matthew Snope said...

I'm promulgating abandoning xmas lists, toy registry @ Toys R Us (hello, spoiled children), xmas, materialism, & capitalism itself.

Jessica Wray said...

that mug and shirt crack me up!

PEONY

Jessie said...

I need the "Polite as Fuck" shirt. HA!

Matthew Snope said...

replace xmas w/ Chrimbus. keep the Chrimbus bushes moist & trimmed.

April said...

I want that mug on SOA's website that says WHAT WOULD GEMMA DO?

Miss Caitlin S. said...

Really cute Claire! I love that "Polite as Fuck" shirt. hahahah. I wish I had somewhere (anywhere) where I could wear that and get away with it. Perhaps going out at night. You're hilarious, I love this list.

Micaela said...

best gift guide, hands down!

the only person i have ever had give me a list is my husband. Chip is the HARDEST person to shop for. I ask him for a list and then I'll throw in a few "surprise" items.

I did buy him the "Go the Fuck to Sleep" book today and it'll be a gift for "Felix and Papa." haha! for some stupid reason i was searching for it in the CHILDREN'S SECTION. i asked for help and the sales clerk and i had a laugh about my silly thinking. :)

drollgirl said...

lol. you have some good gift ideas here!

i am afraid i was FRANTIC to finish up shopping, so i didn't put a whole lot of thought or energy into buying the perfect xmas gifts. i do this EVERY YEAR. the list is so long that i just want to GET IT DONE. i try to find affordable things that each person would like, but sometimes i just end up giving gift cards, particularly for the men in the family!

Erin O'Riordan said...

I think that shirt will be hubby's Christmas gift this year. ;)

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I love that ring!!

Christina said...

I LOVE that shirt! And I just added the book to my wish list. Awesome gift ideas!