Friday, December 28, 2012

My (Annual) Christmas in Georgia

Matt and I got back around midnight last night from a week of celebrating the holidays with my southern family. Matt's observations: "they are drawly and matriarchal." HA! My bestie Jason responded: "All southern families are run by matriarchs." ;)

We stayed at my mama's house, which is the very house I grew up in:

Georgia: where people have yards and fences

There are always a zillion things to do when we're home for the holidays. Just about my entire extended family lives in Georgia, and many of my oldest friends do, as well. Frankly, it's impossible to fit everything in in just one week. 

On Friday night, the day after we'd gotten into town, I left Matt at home and my mama, sister, and I drove out to my aunt's in the country for her annual Christmas girls' night (we're all girl cousins). We eat, drink, laugh, and play games--it's lots of fun. I took this picture, which is a terrible, badly-lit iPhone picture, but you can get an idea, at least:

I seriously need to invest in a camera.

My aunt Pat, the one with the little dog in her lap, lives in a beautiful, cabin-esque house in the country. She decks it out at to the nines at Christmas. See what I mean?

Shudder.

As usual, we spent Christmas Eve with my dad and stepmom, and Christmas day at my mama's with her whole extended family. My dad made Brunswick Stew (at Matt's request) and a delicious potato soup for me, and we opened gifts by the tree as Dad pulled out his inappropriate, raucous monkey puppet, Marv. 

Here, Marv is claiming to be Beyonce's real baby daddy.

It was nice and cold on Christmas Day (though sadly, no snow this year), and we welcomed family & friends over to my mama's house throughout the day. It's always so good to see everyone . . . but by the end of the night, I'm exhausted! I didn't take enough pictures, but here are a couple I snapped:

Matt opening gifts from my family

Mama, very excited about the power drill we got her!

Leon, basking in the glow of the Christmas tree

Adam and Jason, two of my besties who just bought their first house together!

I wish I'd been a better documentarian on our trip (and used a real camera). We squeezed a lot into this trip--Matt and I went to see this incredible band of four sisters with one of my oldest friends, Lane; we trekked out to Jasper, Georgia, to see the town that shares a name with Matt's son (and visited a gun/hunting store with more camo-wearing men than I cared to count); visited with my friends Laura and Zach and their darling son, Slate; and spent some time cuddling with my oldest friend Lesley's new baby, Phoebe:

Be still my heart!

Oh, and my cousin Ashley cut nearly 10 inches off my hair. I went to her salon and in a sudden act of bravery, asked her to just chop it. I'm still adjusting, but overall, I like it. Here's a picture:

The shortest it has been in at least ten years!

Tell me all about your holidays! What you did, what you gave, what you received, etc. etc. I want to hear it all!

21 comments:

meghan said...

Your hair looks great!! And all your Christmas pictures look so cozy! You've got to love that about a southern Christmas. How fun that you have all girl cousins and could have a girls night!

6 in Love said...

I really liked your long hair, but I'm loving your new 'do! Glad you had such a good time, & sorry we missed you! :)

AmericanBridget (Jones) said...

Um, that house you grew up in...to die for. WOWSERS! It looks like an incredible home! I love your hair, you rock it girlfriend! And I'm so glad you and Matt had a good Xmas together, how fun to share it with the one you love.

Here's toasting to (over a nice Pinot Noir from Dallas) to a wonderful and blessed 2013. I swear, next time I am in SF I am calling your ass out to meet me!!!

Best,
Ryan

Shoshanah said...

I love your mom's porch! My dream house definitely has a porch like that.

And we stayed in Louisiana for Christmas and spent the day at my SIL's home.

Lindsey said...

You did way more than I did! my brain is spinning just reading this. Your new hair looks sooo good and I am dying over the house you grew up in. Is that real life????

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! Operation get skinny in 2013!

Erin @ Sassin Southern Style said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erin @ Sassin Southern Style said...

Love your hair!

I loved all of your Instagram pictures of home, especially because I call that place home, too!

Dee Stephens said...

LOVE everything about this post. Love getting a glimpse into your life. I guess this was Matt's first time home for the holidays with you?
Love the cabin house. What did Matt do while you were gone?
I like your hair shorter. About to post about our holidays here in a minute. ;)

Renee said...

Your caption... Georgia: where people have yards and fences. I die. #truth Love it!!

sheba said...

your hair looks fabulous!

your mama's house is beautiful.

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

I love your hair, it looks great! It's still pretty long too :)

Looks like you had a fantastic trip home. Your mom's house is gorgeous! These pics make me think back to my ATL trip and all of the beauty in the area. Welcome home!

Kat@shop.school.sleep. said...

Love the hair and it sounds like a great trip home

Linny said...

I love your Mom's house, it is gorgeous! I think your hair looks fantastic!

Deals, Steals and Heels said...

i am LOVING your new 'do!! that monkey however, is a whole other story...

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

Looks like such a cozy Christmas!

I hope you have a great 2013!

Micaela said...

I am so glad you both got to go to GA for the holidays. Matt with beautiful Phoebe-- be still my heart, indeed!

Your Mama's house is already beautiful but eve more so decked out in Christmas decor.

YOU LOOK GORGEOUS! Please tell Ashley she did a great job.

aw congrats to Adam and Jason who look just adorable.

also? i love the girls' night and how you're all girl cousins.

even though we were all sick (including a trip to the ER for Sollie Bollie) this Christmas, there's nothing like your Momma taking care of you. This year we focused a lot on the kids and the one that sticks out the most when it came to presents was Felix's first barbie from her grandma. My heart melted! <3 I gave Christina a gift I actually bought myself : Mom's one line a day, A Five Year Journal. Her reaction reading the little note i wrote inside was so touching.

My sister Maddie's husband gave her the new iphone so guess who got her iphone 4? ;) HURRAY! we can face time anytime now :) speaking of phones... so glad Matt is back on insta! YAY!

Christina Monique said...

I love that picture of you! how beautiful! I am sure your enjoying your nice cozy bed now there is no place like home. I am so happy you got to spend that time with Matt and your family.

Christina said...

I love your hair! I can't believe you cut 10 inches off. It's still so long. What an amazing house!

undomestic mama said...

I need to move to the South if all Southern Families are run by matriarchs! Just kidding. Kinda. I am in love with your Mama's house, that's pretty much what my dream house looks like. I'm so glad you two were able to go to Georgia and spend it with your family....and your hair looks soooo good! I had no idea you hair was originally that long, but doesn't it feel good to chop it all off once in awhile?

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Yay! It looks like it was a great time with family for the holidays. I think your hair looks great!

Matthew Snope said...

MARV!