Monday, December 31, 2012

Peace Out, 2012

It seems like people are really tempted to sum up a year with big words like "good" or "bad" or "tough"  or even "awesome!" But each year is so complex, so rife with experience, that I can't really reduce it to an umbrella term like that.

For me, 2012 was new, challenging, exciting, emotional, frustrating, hopeful, and many other things. Here are some (of many) things I will remember:

*Matt and I moved in together in early January (a new experience for me)

*We endured a pretty vicious, ongoing custody battle with the mother of Matt's daughter, which illustrated the lengths people will go to to hurt others when they are hurt themselves

*Matt and I took a beautiful Easter trip to Mendocino County

*I quit my teaching job and took a new job with Voice of Witness, which I love (I find that changes are often scary, but worth it)

*My girls came to visit, and we trekked down from San Francisco to Orange County so that Marianne could see CJ Wilson play in his  new stadium :)

*Matt and I took a 24 hour train from Oakland to Seattle to see his mom (and retrieve a car she graciously gave him when his was stolen from our street)--on the way home, I got to meet Lindsay, whom I love!

*Our beloved & uproarious family dog, Ignatius, passed away

*My sweet grandma passed away

*Matt came with me to Georgia for the first time for my grandma's funeral and met my entire extended family

*My cousins came to visit, and we had an incredible & hilarious time in San Francisco and Napa

*Matt's sweet dad came to visit, while Hurricane Sandy was wreaking havoc in his New Jersey town

*I went to Vegas for work and got to hang out with Lindsey, who is now one of my besties

*Matt and I went back to Georgia for Christmas for a week

*We adopted an abandoned kitten! More on that tomorrow . . .

Pretty intense year, with all its ups and downs. Many of my friends had babies, too, which is fun to witness. The word I'm adopting for 2013 is peace, both inner and outward. Here's hoping to (coming close to) achieving it!

Happy New Year's Eve, everyone.

16 comments:

Megan said...

that is such a busy, up and down year Claire, I just try to remember that every event good or bad that we get through helps shape us as people. I feel like 2012 was the year I kind of set things up for myself - financially, relationship wise and career so I am hoping that 2013 is the year things start panning out from all the foundation work.
Have a great NYE!! XXX

Helene said...

I couldn't agree with you more. A year cannot just be one thing, that would be crazy. looks like you were very busy.
I like the word peace for 2013. I definitely think we all need a little of that in our lives.

AmericanBridget (Jones) said...

I agree, it is hard to sum up an entire 365 days into one word. I love your choices.

Wishing you all a wonderful 2013!

Keep on making us smile with your wonderful blog!

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

Lord, too many of my blog friends lost grandmothers this year (me included). Maybe they're all up there together?

Happy 2013 lady.

Christina Monique said...

Happy New Years Claire! I hope your 2013 with your new kitty and Matt is filled with love.

Kelly Ann said...

Great recap and heres to a great 2013!

xx
Kelly
Sparkles and Shoes

Kathy said...

i love reading about everyone's 2012 recap. sorry about your grandma :(

i hope you had a fantastic holiday.

Micaela said...

What a great year you had! I am happy to have been included and to watch you and Matt together. Sigh <3 your happiness means the world to me!

Here's to 2013! and more photos of little neil young ;) i can't get enough.

XOXO Love you!

TracyZLesh @ Then I Got To Thinking said...

It was a full year for you - ups, downs, the whole package... but you always come out with so much strength :) I love following along!

Your new kitty is so cute - can't wait to hear more about the story!!

Leesh said...

You've had a pretty eventful year with lots of ups and downs. Here's hoping that 2013 is filled with more good times for you, Matt and Neil Young.

I'm not gonna lie, I am terrified of cats so it's a little tough for me to see photos of your little friend but I know how you rescued him so I am trying to be brave.

Laura Darling said...

What a year you had! I hope 2013 is a fantastic, PEACEFUL, year for you!

Deals, Steals and Heels said...

2011 was pretty rough for my family and loved ones, so 2012 was a breeze compared to all that craziness!! i've told the hubs lately that i just have a good feeling about 2013...and normally i don't have feelings about the new year, so it MUST be true!

Phoenix Peacock said...

Oh my goodness gracious! How much has changed since we last caught up. I'm glad life seems to be going well for you, through the complicated.

NYLON Girl said...

I'm glad our trip made the cut. Miss you! Love xxx

drollgirl said...

you are so right -- most years (days, lives) are filled with ups and downs. but it is best when the ups outweigh the downs! 2012 was a pretty good year for me, particularly if i don't think about all the freaking doctor visits and health issues. lol. but still, all in all, a prettttty good year.

cheers to a fab 2013. make it so. :)

Marz said...

Our girls trip to my lover's new ballpark was by far one of the happiest highlights of my 2012!!!!! :) Thank you girls so much for making me one happy C.J. fan! ;) I think about that trip so often and am so lucky to have each one of you there with me and made it possible! Love you!!! xo