Sunday, January 6, 2013

A Lazy, Book-Filled Weekend

Mondays seem especially brutal when you've had a super-relaxing, lazy weekend, huh? I'm gearing up for a jam-packed week that begins today with a quick, one-night work trip to Monterey, and will remain just as busy through Friday evening. Someone bring me some wine and a cozy blanket!


Friday afternoon, I met my friend Tara at 21st Amendment. Now, it can be hard to visit a brewery (and one with delicious food, at that!) when you're trying to eat healthily. But I managed pretty well; I ordered a veggie burger with no bun and a side salad instead of fries:


Afterwards, she came over to meet Neil Young the kitten. He pretty much dazzles everyone with his cuteness. I don't even mind the little bites and scratches on my hands, cause I mean just look at him:

curled up with mama // curled up with daddy

On Saturday, after attending a one-year-old's birthday party with mimosas and adorable kids, we took an impromptu trip to Baker Beach. It was surprisingly crowded for a foggy, drizzly January afternoon! Still, it's one of my favorite places in the world, and I can't resist taking another version of the same picture every single time I'm there:


Recognize that pic? Haha. It's foggy so you can't see the bright colors, but it's still magnificent. And the ocean was so loud! 

We spent pretty much all of Sunday taking down Christmas decorations (it was sad saying goodbye to our beautiful tree!), reading, and lazing about the house, which was divine. I did make myself go for a sloooow run in the afternoon, but that was pretty much all the energy I exerted all day. Speaking of reading, I'm reading this and it's hard to put down:

Source: amazon.com via Anne on Pinterest

Have any of you read it?

Happy Monday! 

linking up with Leeann & Sami!

14 comments:

Chic 'n Cheap Living said...

Neil Young is too cute! You two are such fab new parents that it almost makes me want a cat (the shedding will stop me though). I'm on the last book of "Game of Thrones" and will definitely look into your book as one of the next books!

xoxo,
Chic 'n Cheap Living

Kathy said...

thanks for the book reco; been looking for a new book to read :)

and a lazy day sounds divine!!! i almost never get those anymore with a kid running around

Kristin W said...

A work trip to Monterey?! I'm unbelievably jealous! And go you being all healthy while eating out!

SMD @ lifeaccordingtosteph said...

I read it years ago and loved it.

Found you through the linkup. We visited San Francisco for the first time this past summer and loved it! Great photo from the beach.

Kat@shop.school.sleep. said...

Neil Young is so freakin cute!!! I would love to visit Baker Beach it looks beautiful even on a cold day

Kat@shop.school.sleep. said...

Neil Young is so freakin cute!!! I would love to visit Baker Beach it looks beautiful even on a cold day

Cortney said...

Love the ocean picture, I miss California soo much!!

Deals, Steals and Heels said...

i am vowing to FINALLY finish cloud atlas this week (the holidays got in the way, but i love it)...my brain wants more books!

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

I love that you take the same picture at Baker Beach every time. That's a really fun idea!

Is 21st Amendment the place we ate? :)

Thanks for linking up!

drollgirl said...

a lazy day sure sounds nice right about now!

so glad you are loving neil young. but the biting and scratching must stop! i can't stand it! one of mine does it on occasion. when this happens ALL loving and petting CEASES! at least temporarily!

i read that book a long time ago. i think i loved it but i honestly can't remember it. my brain is SO FOGGY on details of books from the past. for shame!

p.s. i recently read a book that has been around forever -- the cay. i can't even tell you how much i loved it, and how much it made me bawl! i know it is a book for kids/young adults, but whatever! so good!

AmericanBridget (Jones) said...

If the book is the same one I am thinking of, I believe I read it about 10 years ago. Is it about the Fire and Brimstone type of religious upbringing????

Marz said...

There is something so sexy about that pic of you with Niel Young ;) He is just adorable!!! I enjoy all the pics of him that Matt and you post. It seriously makes my day!

I loved going to Baker Beach with you, Micaela and Jessie! It's SO exciting that we're all going to be together SOON!!! Ekkk! Can't wait!! :)

H. Gillham said...

You look lovely with Neil Young in that photo -- your dark nails, smoky eyes -- it looked like an ad for something exotic. :-)

I read Map of the World, and I the story and characters stayed with me after I finished. It's one of those novels where you think it's about real people. It kind of haunts ya.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Neil is too cute! I love Baker Beach and I have you to thank for that! I went there the first time cause you had given it such high praise. Josh and I fell in love with it and every time I've been in SF I go there!