Thursday, January 31, 2013

Snitches get Stitches

And apparently so do people who misuse immersion blenders.


Last night, I decided to try my hand at this ridiculously yummy pie my sister made at Christmas. It has four ingredients:
  • low fat (or fat free!) Cool Whip (one container)
  • low fat cream cheese (one block)
  • Butterfinger bars, crushed (I used 3)
  • a pre-made graham cracker crust
(For the record, you mix the first three ingredients, spread the filling in the crust, and then refrigerate for an hour or two before serving. So easy and good!)

So I was using the lovely immersion blender above to mix the Cool Whip and cream cheese. The mixture was stuck in the blade area, so I turned the thing off (just unpressing the button on the side) and stuck my finger in to get out all the yumminess. Apparently, my finger reactivated the blade, because a gory scene ensued. 

I will spare you pictures of my blood-spattered kitchen and sutured finger, but here's what I'm working with now:


Only two stitches, but those suckers hurt. Thankfully, the doc gave me painkillers. Be careful with blenders, people!!

In other news, today is the LAST DAY to enter my HTC OneX giveaway! Make sure you enter, cause this phone is awesome. The camera is so good that you can see my actual fingerprints in the picture I took of my stitches. ;) It's really easy to use, too, and so light and thin! Win the phone for yourself or as an awesome gift for someone you love. Enter here.

12 comments:

Tiffany @ Polka Dotted Cats said...

OMG that sounds so awful!!!! Before I read the post, I saw the pic and was like I need to get me one of those things...NEVER!

Jessie said...

I do believe you are one of the most accident-prone people I know. :( Hope your finger is back to 100% soon! Love you!

Meghan said...

Ahh! That is quite painful, I'm sure! I've used one of those blenders before and I can definitely see how it would cause injury...

tara said...

OUCH!!!!

RadiantKristen said...

You poor thing! I am terrified of doing the same thing with my immersion blender, the buttons always seem so twitchy.

Dee Stephens said...

YIKES!!! We have one but we've only used the blender part a couple times. We use the chopper all the time.
As for your finger? OUCH!!!!! I put my finger in the mixer in high school and thought I was going to lose it. My Dad has never broke so many laws in his life driving to the ER!

Deals, Steals and Heels said...

poor finger!! BUT that pie sounds pretty freaking amazing....at least you weren't injured making something crappy =)

Andiepants said...

Holy crap! That looks painful!!!!!!
You poor thing!
Did you try to redo the recipe? did you develop an aversion to the blender?

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I'm totally cringing for you! I cut my finger on a really sharp knife a few months ago and freaked. I can't even imagine having that happen in that mixer!! EK! I hope you are feeling better and the finger is healing FAST!

Micaela said...

I knew when I saw that you had an accident making pie, it had to be the incredible one you were telling us about at Jessie's that your sister made.

THIS IS CRAZY! i am so glad you shared this warning (unfortunately for you though :( poor thing!) because I have one and have done the exact same thing-- because who would think that it would turn it on?!

I am so sorry Claire and I hope you feel better! xo

ps. i love that still rocked painted nails, even with a finger cast.

Christina said...

Scary!! This is why I'm terrified of garbage disposals. I know it's not the same thing, and that the switch is far away from it, but I feel like it's going to magically turn on when my hand is down the drain. I hope you're healing well!!

melifaif said...

I am so sorry for you and your wittle finger. And sorry for my blog slacking ass for missing an amazing giveaway. Grrrr....