Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The Elements of a Country Wedding

This past weekend, I flew down to Texas (& drove up to Oklahoma) for my dear friend Jessie's wedding. I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to swing it so shortly after we were in Georgia for Christmas, but thanks to my generous dad (who gave me skymiles & hotel points), I made it! And I'm so grateful. ♥

Jessie is one of the most down-to-earth, straight-talkin', hilarious, sincere people I know. And she's a total bad ass, too.

The best part of all this is that I met Jessie through Micaela and Marianne, my beautiful Texas-dwelling twin friends, so we all got to have a reunion! This time, our get-together was even more special, because I got to meet Micaela's gorgeous 4 month old baby, Felix.

adorable, right?? and leaning against my chest--so sweet! 

I flew into Dallas, rented a car, and drove to Wichita Falls, where Marianne and Micaela live. It had been almost nine months since we'd seen each other last, and it was so good to hang out with them again!

at dinner in Wichita Falls the first night

As much as I wanted to stay out all night with these girls, I was running on about 2 hours of sleep (in the past 36 hours!), so I had to get back to my hotel to catch up. The next day, the girls and I drove up to Waurika, Oklahoma to help the bride get ready for the wedding!

the view from Jessie's front porch in Oklahoma

This trip really made me think about city living vs. country living. I love living in the Bay Area, I love that I can get any kind of food delivered to my apartment at almost any time, I love that I can hop on the freeway four blocks from my house and be anywhere in minutes, and I love that I can walk up the street to an array of restaurants, coffee shops, bars, etc. However, the serenity of the country is compelling. And let's just say that Jessie's mortgage is less than 1/3 of the monthly RENT for my city apartment. OMFG.

After hanging out at Jessie's for a bit, we grabbed some beers and headed to the reception site to unload some of the necessities:

country wedding must-haves

We had to wait to bring the beer in cause there was a D.O.C. inmate cleaning the floors of the reception hall. LOL. 

Next, we headed to Jessie's granny's house. It's on a lot of land (seems like all the houses are) and she has all kinds of animals, including these adorable deer! She's raised them since they were babies, so they're super friendly and tame. Look at this one nuzzling me!


And the groom--there's something pretty precious about a cowboy and a deer:


Jessie was busy with her rehearsal and entertaining out-of-town family on Friday night, so the twins and I headed back to Wichita Falls and had a girls' night with some of their friends at a place called Whiskeyta. ;) Conveniently, it was across a parking lot from my hotel! It was nice being out with the girls:

Micaela and me reunited!

all the girls 

My only complaint is that everywhere is so smoky! I'm used to California where you can't smoke anywhere. My bra REEKED by the end of the long weekend. 

The next day was wedding day! Jessie looked exquisite. Her dress fit her like a glove and her makeup was perfect. But even better than that? I love her groom. Isn't it the best feeling watching your friend marry someone wonderful? Here are some pictures from her big day:

a proper country wedding has custom camo koozies

and grooms in cowboy hats & jeans
(I'm particularly proud of this picture--isn't it such a good one??)

how cute are those cake toppers??
(Neil's from Texas and Jessie's from Oklahoma)

the four of us together--oh how I love these girls!

I'm so glad I got to be a part of Jessie's wedding day. It meant so much to see all the girls together (and celebrating such a momentous occasion!). I'm already planning my next trip to "Texoma" . . . Jessie's granny says she has baby deer in the summer, so I've got my sights set on August. ;)

23 comments:

AmericanBridget (Jones) said...

OMG, you flew into Dallas. Damn.
So close...

And I think I saw you in some country looking boots in one of those pics, no?

Who doesn't love a sweet deer. Never understood how people can shoot them for game.

Weddings are always a good time. Glad you got to catch up with your friends!

Kelly Ann said...

That baby is absolutely adorable and the bride was beautiful!

xx
Kelly
Sparkles and Shoes

undomestic mama said...

So so jealous! I want to get my hands on sweet baby Fe and of course you and Micaela and Marianne and Jessie too.

Lindsey said...

Love it. Texas pride. And you look really skinny bitch!

Meghan said...

Aww! Congrats to Jessie! She looks just stunning - as do you lovely ladies! I bet it was amazing to see the twins! :) The deer pics are just precious and it sounds like an all-around amazing time! I love it!

Dee Stephens said...

Love all the details! Very Pinterest!! The cake topper is the best!

Deals, Steals and Heels said...

what a fun trip!! i am mildly obsessed with the "redneck wine glass"...and koozies always get an A+.

think i can convince the hubs we need a pet deer??

Kara said...

So jealous you got to meet and snuggle that gorgeous baby! You ladies look fab :)

I've fantasized about country life WAY too often! It's so serene. Definitely a place to think about putting down roots.

Kathy said...

what a beautiful wedding! i love that you guys got to pet deer... i have a weird irrational fear of farm animals... mainly because i'm scared they might bite or kick me like how i see in america's funniest videos :\

Allison said...

I loved all your Instagram pictures and love them all in a post as well! This looks amazing and their wedding has so many wonderful touches. Those cake toppers are priceless and you and your friends are gorgeous! :)

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

So awesome!! I was wondering about the animals from your IG pics lol. Glad you all go to have a reunion at such a beautiful event. I'm in love with their cake!

drollgirl said...

omg! FUN FUN FUN!!!!!!!!

i have flown into Dallas (OMFG that airport is YUGE!!!!!) and driven up to OK and ARK. boy, it is a whole other world out there. lots of land, lots of tyson chicken factories, and lots of churches. lol! at least that is how it looked last time i went.

city life vs. country life is SO different. i prefer city life, but it is nice to visit the country every now and again.

and i think it is a MINOR MIRACLE when you like your friends' husbands/boyfriends. it is GREAT when that happens!!!!!

drollgirl said...

p.s. last time i was in arkansas there were signs for land -- $100 per acre. OMFG. my sister and i could not believe it! the land was undeveloped, but STILL!!!!!! an acre for $100?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?? an acre where i live is probably a 250k. or some outrageous amount like that!

Jessie said...

I want to relive the wedding day, all over again. :) So glad you were there with me!! xoxo

Tiffany @ Polka Dotted Cats said...

omg a cute baby! Stop with that.

What a fun wedding! Her dress was beautiful :)

Laura Darling said...

This looks like SO much fun! I've never been to a country wedding! And that dress is gorgeous!

sophboat said...

Hi Claire! What a lovely weekend you had, I must admit I'm definitely a country girl at heart despite living in the city for the past four years. Australian country, that is! Those deer are super cute, and so are those cake toppers!! Looking forward to reading more...I'm new to the blogging world (sophboat.blogspot.com.au) so pop over and say hi anytime :)

Krystal said...

i'm glad you had such an awesome time! funny about the rent thing...our city rent here in luzern is 5 times higher than our mortgage was in iowa, ha!

Micaela said...

I just posted my write up of our amazing time together but really, how can it live up to yours? ;)

http://dolcevitamicaela.blogspot.com/2013/01/a-sweet-january-wedding.html

I can't even begin to put into words how amazing it was to be all together again <3 it's so crazy to see how much our lives have changed since our first girls' trip (and for the beautiful better!) It's hard to believe that nearly two years ago, we didn't have Matt, Felix, or a husband in our lives. ha Now look at us! Jessie could not have looked more stunning than she did on her wedding day.

It was precious when Felix would lean into you. Melts my heart! Thank-you also for her sweet gifts. Those gold shoes <3

love you!!! and August it is ;)

Leesh said...

That's awesome that you got to see the Marianne and Micaela. It looks like you guys had a great time together.

And that lil Felix, she is one adorable girl. Jealous that you got to meet her in person and hold her.

Shoshanah said...

It looks like such a fun weekend! And I love everything about the cake, especially the cake toppers.

And it was definitely a shock moving from California to Louisiana with the difference in where you could smoke. When I first moved here you could still smoke in restaurants even. And while you no longer can, really wish they'd get rid of smoking in bars so I could go out without coming home smelling of smoke.

Marz said...

The Sunday you, Micaela and Felix left was SO sad for me!! I felt so lonely and missed you all so much. I STILL miss ya'll so much! I'm so thankful that we all got to be together for such a special time in Jessie's life! I remember thinking as we were unloading the beers from the back of Jessie's dad's pick up (how country does that sound? haha) how incredibly blessed we are to have each other and all because of blogging! It was a truly beautiful wedding and weekend and I can't wait for the next time we are all together again! I love you C! xo

Christina said...

Awww, the baby deer! So sweet. I love her wedding dress and the cake! Such a cute wedding!