Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Wednesday: Random Thoughts & Pins

It's far too early to construct a well-arced, researched blog post. Instead, I give you five random pins:

1. I got a kindle for Christmas (late to the party, I know), and I can't stop reading. I used to keep Matt up by having the lamp on half the night thanks to my insomnia, but the backlit kindle paperwhite solves that problem! I can read my sleeplessness away while my boyfriend sleeps peacefully. Win-win. In any case, I'm reading this:


and it's just as riveting as Gone Girl. It seems Flynn specializes in disturbed narrators. I'm halfway through and can't what to find out what kind of nonsense happens at the end of this book.

2. My friend Doro came over last night for dinner and wine and to meet Neil Young (he was a hit). I made this recipe I found on Pinterest and it was really good! 


Of course I made a few changes: I used soy "beef" crumbles (the ones from Trader Joe's are actually my fave), left out the rotel but included a jalapeno, and used more taco seasoning than suggested. We ate it with shredded cheddar, avocado, and corn chips and it was delish!

I also made Doro watch an episode of Honey Boo Boo. Hopefully we're still friends. 

3. You probably already know this but there are only two more days to enter this sweet giveaway on my blog: HTC is sending one Bicoastally reader a brand new HTC OneX. It's incredibly thin and light, has a nice big screen, and sports the best camera I've ever seen on a phone. And it's a $500 phone! Enter here to win! Rafflecopter will pic a winner on Friday.


4. Y'all left the best comments on yesterday's post. I keep going back and reading them again. Seems like there's a lot to talk about--let's keep the conversation going! 

5. I really want this shirt. How sweet is this? When you live across the country from where you were born & raised, you need a lot of reminders of home. At least I do. 

Source: thehomet.com via Claire on Pinterest

Thanks to everyone who has entered, tweeted, posted on facebook, etc. the giveaway. I hope someone awesome wins!

Linking up with

                                          
                    Shanna                                         and                                            Michelle

16 comments:

anna lizbeth said...

love the shirt!

starnes family said...

I read Sharp Objects years ago......before Gone Girl ever was. I think it's the best!

Katie Price said...

I really loved yesterday's post Claire and read all the comments too. Sometimes I wish I could be more open about struggles in my relationship on the blog, but I know that quite a few of his classmates read my blog and I don't want anything I say to effect him professionally. Anyways, thanks to you and everyone else for being honest, because life is Never perfect.

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

I thought Gone Girl was written really well and a good book but for me I was just eh about it. For some reason I didn't really get into it. It took me two months to read it.

That chili looks gooood!

Kat@shop.school.sleep. said...

I have a Nook Color and LOVE it!! I read so much more too...and my husband is also thankful for the backlight since I would keep him up with the lamp as well hahaha. Be sure to use overdrive to get borrow books from the library!! And dying to read Sharp Objects but will have to wait til June when school is done :)Love the shirt and want to send one to my SiL in Florida.

Kayla Peveler said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog lady! ;) omg.. I got a kindle fire for Christmas and I'm obsessed!!

drollgirl said...

i have not read gone girl. another blogger bagged on it so much that i took it off of my list. humph. maybe i should try it?

i think i have to delete my comment from yesterday. i have been freaking out that the bf will find it. paranoid! lol

SMD @ lifeaccordingtosteph said...

I loved all three of Flynn's books. She does specialize in the F'd up.

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

I'll totally have to check out Sharp Objects, I loved Gone Girl.

Tiffany @ Polka Dotted Cats said...

I have yet to read Gone Girl but I got it for christmas! I will add this one to the reading list too. I can't bring myself to get an e-reader. I'm stubborn I guess...

Deals, Steals and Heels said...

i am OBSESSED with that shirt. it's cool to rock even if you're technically still living in your home state right? cuz i might.

Erika said...

Ooh, that recipe looks yummy! Hooray for your Kindle acquisition! I have a NOOK Color myself and love it - though I still buy physical books at times! :P

mamaboot said...

I too LOVE my Kindle. I'm going to have to read Sharp Objects next. I loved Gone Girl and just finished Dark Places...which is another book by Gillian Flynn. It was VERY good. It's a little dark though, so now I'm reading Andy Cohen's "Most Talkative" (also very good....and funny).

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I've added two of his books to my read list for this year. Now I've just added this one! GET THAT SHIRT!

Micaela said...

An acquaintance posted a photo of her on FB wearing a home shirt of TX and I wondered where she got it because I love it! thank-you for sharing it. Even though I live in Texas, you know I love Texas stuff ha

That recipe looks AMAZING!

I love your random posts :)

Christina said...

I got a Kindle and gift cards for Christmas and loaded it up, but haven't started using it yet because I still have a stack of books on my nightstand to get through. Gone Girl is two books away!! And now I have to add Sharp Objects. OMG that phone! I'm so excited!!! I want that shirt too.