Monday, February 25, 2013

Sad Mac

You know the "Sad Mac" episode of Sex and the City where Carrie's computer dies? Well, last week, I lived that episode. Except my boyfriend doesn't have enough money to buy me a brand new laptop.


Last Thursday afternoon, I was babysitting Milo and Jude. I had my computer open on the dining room table and there was a glass of water in its nearby vicinity. Milo, reaching for something, knocked the glass of water onto my computer and the water poured straight into my keyboard. He said "Sorry!" and ran off to play with his toys . . . how nice it must be to be 4 years old and have no concept of the vast consequences of innocent mistakes. 

I did everything everyone suggested: turned it off immediately, put it in a sealed container with rice, etc. But when I took it to the Apple store the next day, they delivered devastating news: the damage is extensive and while I'm lucky that it will turn on so I can retrieve my hard drive, the computer itself is shot.

I gave myself a mental break this weekend (as much as I could) and tried not to think about it too much, but now that the work week has started, I have to figure something out. I'm using my roommate's computer to write this post and to do some makeshift work, but I have to figure out a permanent solution soon. I have another appointment at the Apple store today, and I plan to spend some time this evening taking pictures of my designer shoes so I can sell them on Ebay in hopes of funding a new computer. Wish me luck!

15 comments:

Lesley said...

that is the saddest news! i was really hoping it would pop back on after a day or two. praying for good news and a new computer. love you!

H. Gillham said...

Argh.

That puts a hurt on ya.

Sad. Hope that some way it all gets resolved.

AmericanBridget (Jones) said...

The good news is...YOU HAVE DESIGNER SHOES...so you really are channeling Carrie Bradshaw!

Here's hoping one lady's feet will be supremely happy with a new pair of shoes while your fingers do the typing on a new Mac!

undomestic mama said...

Oh lady I'm so sorry. If I had an extra computer I'd send it to you in a heartbeat, but the piece o' junk I use is missing the "g' key and running out of memory. You wouldn't want this one even if I had a spare.

Tiffany @ Polka Dotted Cats said...

Ohhhhh no! I am so sorry that this happened! We will have some sort of internet fundraiser for you. Like you should sell signed pictures of Neil Young. I'll help market them!

Dee Stephens said...

OMG! I would be literally sick to my stomach.
I hope you can get a new one soon!

Leesh said...

That was such a sad episode. My heart goes out to you. I hope Apple is able to do something to help out your poor computer.

Kathy said...

that is AWFUL. on a side note, what is your budget for a laptop? actually, i'll email you about this.

Krystal said...

oh man, that is horrible. that happened to me and my computer couldn't be fixed either, i feel your pain!!

Allison said...

I saw your Facebook status on this and my heart seriously broke for you - I had no idea it was Milo who did it though! (Maybe it's payback for the V-Day makeup?! I'll punch him because he looked FIERCE). Now knowing that you got a new one, I'm so thrilled for you! Just keep it out of the hands of Milo. xox

P.S. I love the SATC reference - "I don't know, a mean little man came onto my screen, and then he dropped the bomb."

April said...

Oh no. :( Good luck!!!

Selma @ Crazy Little World Of Mine said...

Yikes. That's the worst ever! :((((

So sorry!

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

Oh no!! That's terrible. Good luck. I hope it all worked out and you were able to find a solution or replacement.

My computer has been so slow for the last few months and I have NOTHIG backed up. I really need to do that because I am scared I'll lose everything.

Jane Droll said...

OMFG! i am SO SORRY!!!! facing a dead computer is TRAUMATIC! DEPRESSING! AND EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!

a few weeks ago i got a speeding ticket after visiting my parents in nor cal. i had to go visit them AGAIN last week and i drove the speed limit the entire way (i have NEVER done that in over 20 years -- torture). on my way up the check engine light came on. $500 dollars later!!!! ARGH!!!!!!!!! when i arrived back home i received my speeding ticket in the mail. THAT grand total was over $400. i can't even tell you how depressing this all was too me. so upsetting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and it is sunny and gorgeous out and i just want to go shopping for spring clothes and forget all my troubles. BUT that is not a good idea!!!!

may money shower upon you soon so that you can get a new computer! i hope so!!!!!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

This is my biggest fear! I backed up all of my stuff at Christmas because my computer is getting old and I'm worried it won't make it much longer. I hope I am wrong! I hope you can get a new computer!