Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Ultimate.

This is my mama:


For a while now, she's been searching for something to do that will help the people in the world. She's been looking into various volunteer organizations and charities, and until recently, hadn't found the right fit--the thing that called to her & said this was what you were meant to do! 

She lives by herself and works very hard. She's the most organized and responsible person I know, but there's one thing she isn't good at: asking for help. Which is what made signing up for the Ultimate Hike is one of the bravest things she's ever done! Training to hike 30 miles in one day won't be hard for her, but raising $2500 for CureSearch for Children's Cancer will be.


I'm so proud of her because she is doing this all by herself. She's a warrior when it comes to exercise and fitness, so I know that physically, she'll be fine, and she'll love the training. But raising the money is going to be one of the hardest things she's ever done, because she is timid about asking anyone to donate. Which is where her loudmouth daughter comes in. :)

Trust me: I know most of us don't have tons of money to give away. I sure don't! But I can't help but think that if everyone who reads this gave $5 or even $1, she would achieve her goal. The hike is in May, and she's already met more than half of her fundraising requirement thanks to generous friends and family, but she needs to raise another $1000 to be able to participate. So basically what I'm asking is: will you donate your coffee money to my mama today (or really, to finding a cure for children's cancer)? 

If you don't have any spare change, I totally understand! In that case, just say a prayer or cross your fingers. But if you have even $1 to give, which would be so appreciated, her page can be found here.


I know asking for money is a big deal, but CureSearch is totally legit, and they really do put their donations toward finding a cure for the tragic, unspeakable diseases that are children's cancers. I can't even think about it too long without being overwhelmed with sadness. Suffice to say, I can't even imagine.

Thanks so much for considering. :)

14 comments:

AmericanBridget (Jones) said...

Done and done. Anyone who chooses to train and fund-raise to help combat cancer is a hero to me! Tell your mom good luck for me! 30 mile hike in one day, that's quite a challenge!!!!!

Matthew Snope said...

Very cool cause. Just fyi, the minimum donation amount is $5.

Kate Kiefer said...

aww, this is sweet!

undomestic mama said...

I'll donate on payday!

Tiffany @ Polka Dotted Cats said...

Done. Your mom is amazing! I hope she reaches her goal :-)

Pat said...

Reading this made me want to cry! So sweet!

Micaela said...

I already told you this on Twitter, but I think your Mom is amazing. I know where you get your heart of Gold. Felix just donated what would have been her toy money (I love how you put it in perspective-- "donate your coffee money") to this worthy cause.

Please thank your Mama for us!



Martha Reilly said...

This did make me cry. I love you, Clairey. Thank you for such a sweet post and thanks to all your friends!
Mama

Deals, Steals and Heels said...

this is awesome, and tomorrow when i'm not being a total bum and don't feel like going to get my wallet, some hard-earned washingtons will be coming her way =)

and asking people for help IS hard, i'm totally with her there!!

KatiePerk said...

Done and done. Your Mama is a badass. That is a fantastic cause!

Brenna said...

So awesome! I am hiking the Grand Canyon with Project Athena in Sept! 45 miles in 2 days! Good for her!!

Christina said...

Your mom is awesome! I just donated. And good for you, her loudmouth daughter :), for helping her!

cynthia said...

Catching up on blog reading. I donated my coffee money for today! Looks like she is up over $2K now. yay!

Jane Droll said...

her loudmouth daughter. LOL!!!

i'm in for a bit. :)