Friday, February 15, 2013

Valentine's Day & Beauty Product Love

Hope everyone had a great Valentine's Day! Ours started out in the most unromantic of fashions:

  • Matt left home at 3:30 am to go to work for a crazy early shift;
  • I got up early to take Neil Young to the SPCA for his 8 am neutering appointment;
  • I went to babysit Milo & Jude (and gave Milo a V-Day makeover)
Seriously: I was getting ready for a little date Matt had planned for that evening, and when Milo saw me putting on my makeup, he was very interested. He wanted to try some himself, and he chose all his own colors, from bronzer to eye shadow:

He went to karate sporting this look.

After I was done babysitting, I jetted home to meet Matt, who arranged an incredibly sweet, low-key Valentine's Day for us. He grabbed a backpack and drove us to the place where we met (& later shared our first kiss! Well, second kiss, but that's a long story), where we sat on a bench outside. From his backpack he produced: wine, cheese, crackers, a gift card for me to buy clothes (!!), a beautiful Reinaldo Arenas poem that made me tear up, and a stuffed caveman that says "ME LOVE YOU! ME WANT YOU! ME TAKE YOU NOW!" heehee.

Wasn't that so thoughtful & understated? I am so not the dozen roses, balloons, 5-star restaurant on V-Day kinda girl. He knows me well. :)

On another note, one of my favorite things is when bloggers share the products they've been loving. I looooove beauty recommendations especially, so I thought I'd share what's got me smitten these days:


OMG. This foundation is so amazing. While it isn't the consistency I thought it would be (it is designed and labeled to look like my favorite foundation ever that I can't afford)--it comes out like a mousse--the coverage is even better than I imagined. It's SO GOOD & totally worth your dime(s). Go get you some! 


I've blogged about these before but it's worth reiterating: These Maybelline Color Tattoo cream shadows are out of this world. They stay on forever! I have four colors now and frankly, I want the rest of them. I'm way into eye shadow these days. I've been using all kinds of colors: the Naked 2 palette my sister gave me, an old Dior holiday palette I'd forgotten about, and three e.l.f. mineral shadows that are so impressive: deeply pigmented & with pretty incredible lasting power. 

And while I can't say that I personally love this product (cause I haven't tried it yet), I'm very much coveting this Sigma angled flat kabuki brush:


Do any of you have that one? I also have my eyes on the Sigma Performance Eyes kit, thanks to my favorite YouTube beauty guru. Seriously, I cannot stop watching her videos: check them out here if you're into makeup tutorials. 

Happy weekend! And if there are any beauty products you're loving these days, tell me in the comments! 

15 comments:

Lindsey said...

I am tempted to try sigma stuff, so let me know what you think of it. Matt did a very good job, i Love it! If I ever have a valentine date then I would want something lowkey and understated at home or like what Matt did. You guys are the cutest. Going to check out the guru now.

Tiffany @ Polka Dotted Cats said...

Sounds like a very sweet valentimes day!

Girl, I hate foundation. HATE. Is this light feeling? I can only wear powder without being a spazz so I am addicted to mac studiofix.

lil desiqua said...

That sounds like a perfect Valentine's Day- very romantic and sincere.

I've never heard of the Color Tattoo! Will definitely have to check them out. Let us know what you think of the Sigma!

And my current new fave is the Maybelline Super Stay 14 Hour Lipstick (in Please Stay Plum). I was looking for a good "everyday" type of lipstick, and this seriously stays put for hours without drying out my lips! Definitely recommend! Happy Weekend!

April said...

If I was going to do valentine's day, I would definitely want to do it like you and Matt did! How perfect.

Deals, Steals and Heels said...

girl, you KNOW how obsessed i am with the color tattoos!! you MUST get the new inked in pink one, it's a light pink shade, and the neutral one (barely branded maybe?) is basically the best throw-on-and-go for a bright lip look, or as a base for other shadows!!

i might have to check out that foundation, i love me some revlon. does milo approve??

Selma @ Crazy Little World Of Mine said...

My roommate has a similar brush and loves it. :) Might as well try it soon.

undomestic mama said...

I love you Valentine's Date! I'm the exact same way you are, I'd rather have something small and meaningful.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I MUST try those eye shadows! I wear it everyday and love to mix up the colors!

melifaif said...

I so wanna try your first two features!!! But I don't usually wear COLOR on my eye make up...I should change that.

Down and Out Chic said...

thanks for the recommendation on the foundation. I'm going to have to try it! I've been using BB cream for a while (Boscia is the latest) and I like the ease of bb creams but I'm always on the look out for new things to try. Also, love the gold tattoo eyeshadow. Especially layered with powdered eyeshadow. Does not budge.

Faiza said...

what a sweet valentine's day matt planned. i love him for you!

earvin and i had our first valentine's day and it was bliss. tee hee hee!

Jane Droll said...

that makeover is SO CUTE! so funny! who wouldn't want to try makeup?!?!? it is SO FUN!!! and so pretty!

and your man did well for the big v-day. very, very well!!!!

i want to try those eyeshadows. i am super picky about such things. i love the naked II palette, but i am a little reluctant to buy it again, as i mostly just use 4 or 5 of the shades. blargh!

must try that foundation. i have tried so many lately looking for the perfect product that will give me creamy and dreamy and glow-y skin. it would be nice if my skin was that way naturally. LOL!

Alison Clarke said...

Best beauty care tips i have got from here that always required and have worked well. Nice to share with us at this place.
obagi nu derm starter kit

Micaela said...

I've been drafting one of these posts (these are my fave too!) and NYX's glitter pencil is on it. I sent a care package to one of Christina's friends in Iraq, and the eyeliner was one of her requests :) (the regular black, not glitter)

I LOVE Revlon's PhotoReady liquid foundation. I tried the mousse but for me, I needed something thicker for my acne/acne scars.

Christina said...

That is the perfect valentine date! I want to try Color Tattoo, but I only ever wear neutrals. I'm scared!