Monday, February 18, 2013

Weekend Highlights

Long weekends are so dreamy, huh? I'm convinced that we'd be a happier nation if it were standard practice for weekends to extend through Monday. Thanks, presidents!

This weekend I was battling Round Two of whatever vile sickness has been clouding up the air around here, but I still managed to do some fun stuff with some of my favorite people.

On Saturday night, our friends Diana and Adam had a joint birthday party at Subpar, a Bay Area-themed indoor mini golf course in Alameda. How cute is this?

clockwise from top  left: Golden Gate Bridge, Coit Tower, San Francisco Victorian townhouses, Alcatraz

Each hole had a different Bay Area theme (there was even a Napa wine barrel!), and there was a "party room" where we had cake and sang to the birthday folks. Who says kids get to have all the fun? ;) 

We had so much fun, in fact, that Matt took his son back to Subpar on Sunday, though I sat out in order to recover from whatever this virus is. Ugh. While they were mini golfing and hanging out at Alameda Beach, I finished this book which was so disturbing I can't even talk about it yet. 

I've long lamented that there isn't an Ulta near me (though one's opening soon!), so I planned an excursion to one up in Sonoma County, where we stopped on the way to return Jasper to his mom's. I only had half an hour but I swear I could have stayed in there all day. Here's what I came out with:


The Ulta shadows were buy 2, get 2 free; the Loreal infallible shadows were buy 1, get one 50% off, and the NYX stuff was just pretty cheap in general. :) As I've mentioned, I've been obsessed with makeup lately, so I'm super excited to try these new colors out. I've heard such great things about the NYX Slide On pencil--anyone tried it?

Today I'm drinking my coffee slow and enjoying a final day off. It's against my nature to rest & be still so much but I'm determined to kick this virus to the curb by tomorrow. Mostly I'm just excited for tonight: The Bachelor and the Catfish finale! Who do you think Sean's gonna send home this week?

Joining Leeann for her new weekly linkup!

25 comments:

melifaif said...

That golf course mini sized is so super cute!!!!! :) Hope you are getting better....

Meghan said...

"Dreamy" is a perfect way to describe long weekends. AMEN!

I hope you are feeling better, girl! Enjoy this time off and get some rest!

Kat@shop.school.sleep. said...

One of my good friends had a laser tag birthday party, you're right adults can have just as much fun as kids in those party settings!! Sorry to hear you're sick and hope you feel better!!

undomestic mama said...

Let us know how you like the eye shadows, I have the hardest time finding some that will stay on my oily skin.

Kim @ Slice of Life said...

Hope you feel better soon!! I used to be the type of person who couldn't relax but I got over that after my first year of teaching! Lol

Jo said...

that indoor mini golf course looks like so much fun!!
i hope you are having a wonderful day off. feel better soon!
xo

Laura Darling said...

That indoor mini golf course looks like a blast! I wish we had something like that near me! And makeup shopping is so dangerous for my wallet, but so much fun! :)

Megan said...

LOL @ your reference to "the book." I LOVE Nyx makeup! We got an Ulta this summer, and Nyx is the only brand I really buy because the prices are great and they are high pigment. I don't even venture to the other side of the store with the luxury cosmetics!

Chic 'n Cheap Living said...

Get better soon dear! I got NYC eyeshadow primer and it's pretty good!

xoxo,
Chic 'n Cheap Living

Deals, Steals and Heels said...

see, we are sans-sephora around here, so i am a total and complete ulta fanatic! their automatic waterproof eyeliner is literally the only liner i use...a few times a year they have it for $1 and i stock up on black and black-brown, and sometimes add in a few fun colors =)

Beauty Fashion Skin Care Blog - Girlie Blog Seattle said...

Unfortunately we did not have a long weekend, but ours was fun as well.

Wow. I had no idea Ulta products its own brand of makeup. That's really awesome. I'll look forward to trying them during my next visit there.

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

Ooh I need to get to Ulta! I had a coupon too! Buy 2, get 2 free? That's awesome!

Thanks so much for linking up!! I appreciate your support :)

Christina Monique said...

Love mini golf! ha! so cute

and my weekend is always a three day weekend but when a holiday lands on a Monday it makes for a four day weekend Sigh*** :)

xoxo I love makeup too!

Lindsey said...

it is not against my nature to rest and i had no problem doing so all day thursday and friday and basically Sunday too. I felt like a new woman! i love how obsessed you are with the beauty channels. Totes was in that phase not too long ago.

Mree said...

That indoor golf course looks like so much fun. Hope you are feeling better today. Sometimes, we just need to rest. Hugs.

Marz said...

It sucked having to work yesterday! I would have given anything to be able to stay home with my nieces who had the day off school. We took advantage by going to lunch together though so that was nice :)

Subpar looks so cute and like so much fun! I love that Matt took Jasper there on Sunday.

Your makeup always looks so beautiful!! I wish I could experiment with different eye shadows. I'm so use to seeing the dark eye shadow on myself that it looks "weird" if I use any other colour. Everything you got looks so beautiful! Post pics when you try them out :)

Tiffany @ Polka Dotted Cats said...

Ulta is 100x better than sephora! Because it is cheaper and the employees don't bug you. Not that you asked, I just thought I would confess my undying love for Ulta.

I haven't tried NYX stuff yet because I don't even know where to start! Let me know how you like these things :)

Faiza said...

hope you kick that virus in the ass tres soon!

have heard some great things about the nyx matte lip pencils.

this long weekend is very confusing. we had a long weekend in ontario for family day as did alberta but bc had it last week and the rest of the country doesn't get it. too confusing. i like your extended long weekend too!

Jane Droll said...

i have never shopped at ulta, and must do that soon! i can always use more makeup! always!!!! and sephora prices drive me CRAZY!

hope you are feeling better!

p.s. started a confederacy of dunces. SO FUNNY! thank you for the recommendation!

Dee Stephens said...

I heart San Fran!! Cute golf course!

Amy said...

Oh my gosh, I agree with you - all Mondays should be holidays! What a happier nation we'd be :).

Love that golf course!

Micaela said...

I hope the vile sickness has left you completely!

Oh my god, I wish you would discuss that book. Is it sick that I am intrigued?

I remember you saying there's not an Ulta near you. If you need anything from there, let me know! I'm your girl.

NYX- I LOVE their glitter black eyeliner. I want to try their gunmetal one.

That last eyeshadow on the left looks so pretty! i wish i would venture out of my regular grey/silver comfort eyeshadow zone.

I love that Matt took Jasper back to Subpar to have a father/son outing ;)

Selma @ Crazy Little World Of Mine said...

I'm finally catching up on blogs. Hope you are feeling better and found out why you felt sick. :)

And yes, I discovered that Ulta may be worse than Sephora. I could stay in there forever as well. ;)

Kimberlee Van Der Wall said...

Aw hope you're feeling better!!

Ulta stores are dangerous :x I'm kinda glad there's not one here in the New York near me

Nita Digirolamo said...

That’s a cool-looking mini golf course, indeed. I love that it even had a wine barrel, which I wish you also shared a picture of. And you’re right; no one said kids get to have all the fun when it’s a birthday and there’s mini golf involved. Was there wine involved after? ;)

Nita Digirolamo