Monday, March 4, 2013

Eyeshadow & Chickens

Lately I've been rather obsessed with eyeshadow. It may seem silly and superficial, but I think it's pretty artistic, actually--mixing colors, finding the right combinations, and creating colors & shadows around your eyes that enhance their natural color. It's like painting on your face! ;)

I've mentioned a couple times now that I can't stop watching ThatGirlShaeXo on YouTube. She's not only so knowledgeable about makeup, but she's so funny and cute and spunky that watching her videos makes me feel like we're having coffee together, haha. 

Up until recently, I did pretty much the same eye routine every day. But lately, thanks to Shae, I've been all about experimenting with color and contour. Here are some of the shades I've tried over the past month or so:


Top: two Loreal Infallible shadows // Amber Rush & Perpetual Purple
Second from top: two Ulta shadows I got recently on sale // Glamazon & Golden Olive
Third from top: Naked 2 palette
Bottom: Naked 2 palette & Ulta shadow Cherry Bomb

Of course, I use various shades on each look, but those were the main players. I use Chopper from the Naked 2 palette as a transition color most days. It's so pretty! And for the top look, I used a purple from an old Dior holiday palette between the two Infallible shades. 

I need a better camera.

I was too sick to do much on Saturday (other than experiment with eyeshadow), but we had a full day Sunday. Matt and I took Jasper to the Unitarian Universalist church in Oakland just to check it out. Afterwards, we went to my boy Jude's 3rd birthday party, where Jude hugged his new (humongous) chicken, whom he named "Meal Young the Chicken" (after our cat, obviously, whose name Jude thinks is Meal Young). 


What did you do this weekend? Anything exciting planned for March? Matt and I are counting down the days till our Tahoe getaway (13!). 

13 comments:

JDWorldshaker said...

I read this expecting to see eye shadow on chickens. a little disappointed, but enjoyed your blog just as well. Does Meal Young sing?

undomestic mama said...

I never take good pictures of my eyes, yours look great! I need to branch out and use color again, I have so many MAC eyeshadows that I haven't used in a while.

Meal Young - too funny!

robayre said...

Meal Young the Chicken, oh, that's good. Thanks for the laugh.

Meghan said...

I really love the first shadows! They're all so sparkly but subtle, which I love. I really could stand to learn a thing or two about makeup:)

Deals, Steals and Heels said...

your eyeballs are gorgeous!!

and jude and that chicken...i still can't. i love it too much.

Helene said...

um what the heck. why are your eyes so freaking fierce and gorgeous! teach me your ways!!

Krystal said...

i feel like people keep talking about watching beauty girls on youtube...i think i need to give this a try if my eyes will turn out like that!

Tiffany @ Polka Dotted Cats said...

Meal Young. That is so freaking cute.

Pretty eyeshadows! I don't experiment enough and this is encouraging! I am obsessed with chopper. It is my go to because I am lazy in the morning.

We leave for our central coast vacation on Sunday! wooooooot!

Beauty Fashion Skin Care Blog - Girlie Blog Seattle said...

She's adorable - the girl in YouTube.

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

Those eye pics are SO pretty! Your lashes look amazing and so does the color. Great job!!

And Jude and his chicken are too cute :)

Hope you're feeling better!

Thanks for linking up!!

Jane Droll said...

the MEAL YOUNG thing makes me laugh!!!!

i love love love eyeshadow too. i just ordered more, but i didn't really get any new and exciting colors. DANG IT!!! i am going to try some that you have recommended. i am. i need to branch out a little and try new colors and new techniques!

Christina said...

Meal Young is the best! I never play with eye shadow. I have four shades/types of brown and that's all I use. I'm so afraid I'll look '80s. I'm gonna go watch some videos!

Christina said...

Oh! I got my new phone yesterday! Thanks again!! :D