Thursday, March 21, 2013

Our 2013 Ski Trip!

This past Sunday, Matt and I packed up and headed for Lake Tahoe, thanks to a generous Christmas gift (certificate) from my mama. One of the best things about living in the Bay Area is that there are so many incredible getaways within a few hours' reach. Tahoe is 3-4 hours away, Napa just an hour, Santa Cruz a little over an hour, Monterey two hours, and L.A. 5 and a half if you take the 5 and don't hit traffic. ;)

taken with my phone out the car window

We stayed at Zephyr Cove Lodge, which is just 4 miles from the beloved ski resort, Heavenly. Our cabin was perfect, and right on the lake!  The snowy beach was just 30 feet or so away from our front door. 

See the snowy patches? It's the end of the season, so most of it has melted.

On Monday we drove into town and had a delicious lunch at a local brewery. After that, we headed over to the Heavenly lodge, cause I was determined to get my fill of snow. It was gorgeous there, but we couldn't afford their steep ski prices; instead, we settled for a drink at the bar and a snowball fight.

I mean no wonder it's expensive.

We had to check out of our lodge on Tuesday, so I figured we'd have lunch in town and then head back home. But Matt had the brilliant idea to check other (smaller) resorts for ski prices and hit the slopes on Tuesday! Thanks to the helpful guy at the Zephyr Cove front desk, we booked our lift & rental tickets at Sierra at Tahoe for the next day. 


Neither of us had skied in 20 years, but amazingly, we picked it back up right away! I was a bit terrified when Matt convinced me to attempt a blue, but we made it down and I didn't launch into a full on anxiety attack. We had so much fun! I'm seriously already saving my pennies for another trip next year. 


Have you ever been skiing??

Also, please read this post written by my oldest friend in the world, Lesley. 

19 comments:

Brianna said...

looks like you two had an amazing trip!! (: So glad you got to have a little getaway (: I'm totally jealous, I never made it to the snow this winter. I'll hopefully go to Utah in a couple weeks to visit my sisters and since it is currently still snowing there, maybe I'll get my fill ;)

Micaela said...

What a great photo of you ski bunnies! I have never been skiing and I'm actually scared to try it though by the looks of it, I am missing out :) Go you for trying the blue!

This sounds like the most perfect getaway. I can just imagine how in love with the snow you were (related-- I'm praying it rains while we're in Virginia. Who else would wish for that right? My happy weather and it's been so long since it has rained here). So sweet of your Mama.

I was devastated when I saw Lesley's IG about Justin. After seeing that beautiful photo she took, all I could think about was his little girl and how much it will hurt when he can't run around with her on the playground. UGH. You are so good to share this. XO

April said...

Your weekend sounds like so much fun! I've never been skiing, and it seems terrifying, honestly. haha But it'd be something to try. :)

Dee Stephens said...

YAY!!!! I've been waiting for this post!
So, glad you checked other resorts and went for it! I totally LOVE Tahoe!!
BTW - we're going to be out there in September for America's Cup. Looking at tickets now.
Staying with our friends who live in the Marina then will hit Napa for a night :) We'll be going to the Cal/Ohio State game too!
Maybe we can meet up at some point?

Allison said...

This looks like the most amazing trip (I say this after liking every single one of your Instagram pictures on it, so clearly I'm a fan). You and Matt are the cutest freaking couple alive and I just adore the two of you! I'm so glad you had time to get away to somewhere as gorgeous as Tahoe! xox

starnes family said...

Loving your pics! Matt is hot.

Sorry. That was weird.

We live to ski!

Tiffany @ Polka Dotted Cats said...

What a beautiful and fun trip! I haven't been to Tahoe in years.

Have NY recovered from your absence??

Tiffany @ Polka Dotted Cats said...

Has...I meant has...haha.

Kat@shop.school.sleep. said...

^^^ hahaha Tiffany!! looks beautiful!! and I have never been to Tahoe...and we have a timeshare up there...crazy huh? I don't ski I snowboard...I can barely handle the one board on my feet let alone 2!! sounds like a greta mini-vacay :)

tara said...

beautiful pictures! i've never been skiing.. actually i've never really seen snow!

Lesley said...

thank you so much for sharing justin's story. i love you tons. glad you guys had such an amazing time. i personally am terrified of skiing but remember thinking it was so cool when you and kate went when we were young. let's talk soon.

Shoshanah said...

I haven't been skiing since college, but I would absolutely love to go again. My husband though pretty much hates snow and cold, so a ski trip is basically the last thing he'd want to do. But hopefully I can convince him to go skiing with me, at least before we're too old to do it! Ha!

H. Gillham said...

Never been skiing.

Love sharing your trip, though.

You're such a ski bunny; glad you had fun.

:-)

Kristin W said...

Your pictures are great! Glad you guys were able to sneak in a little getaway!

Christina said...

So much fun! I've only been to Tahoe in the summer. I'm dying to go in the winter, even though I don't participate in winter sports. Haha!

Deals, Steals and Heels said...

i've NEVER been skiing but it looks like so much fun!!!

Jane Droll said...

so glad you guys had a blast!!!!

i went skiing one time. NIGHTMARE. i am NOT athletic and i had no business being on the slopes. oof

Lacey in the City said...

Looks like such a great trip! I was just saying today that one of the best things about LA is that there are so many weekend road trip options too! And yes, I've skiied- and dislocated my shoulder blade in the process. HORRIBLE.

Matthew Snope said...

To be fair, the idea to ski a more local, less touristy, cheaper (but still just as good, if not better) place was Claire's. We gleaned that info from a local, which, again, was Claire's idea. She's much more social and resourceful, whereas I avoid people if possible, imagining a far less populated, quieter, postapocalyptic world. But I'm sure glad she's the way she is, because we were able to ski.