Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Walking.

Matt's car is out of commission till tomorrow, and since he has to drive to work (you know, given that he can't walk to Sonoma every day), I've been doing a lot of walking for the past week. We live about a 15 minute walk from the train station that takes me to the neighborhood in SF where I work, and our office is about a 10 minute walk from that station. When I've had meetings within a couple miles from our house, I've walked to them. And today I'm going to walk up to the library & the neighborhood market for produce; the walk there and back is just over a mile, but it's enough to see new things and have some time to be active & think.

San Francisco is different than any other place I've lived in that it is a walkable city. You certainly can't just walk anywhere you want to go in Atlanta (unless you want to walk 40 miles) and where I grew up, in the country-ish suburbs, no one walked anywhere, really. I walked and biked a lot in New Orleans, but only in my neighborhood. San Francisco is only 7 miles by 7 miles, and while those miles cover some pretty epic hills, you could literally walk the whole city if you wanted to.

When I was hanging out with my friend Diana last week, she was raving about a food truck called Curry Up Now that she said was worth waiting 40 minutes in line. As I was walking to work from the train station last Friday, I walked right past a brand new Curry Up Now location on Valencia St., just two blocks from where I work! Had I been in a car, I would have missed it.

If you are in SF or San Mateo or Palo Alto, go immediately!

I stopped for a quick lunch on my way back, and Diana was right: the deconstructed samosa with paneer really is amazing. Next up: tikka masala burrito!

Another thing I saw as I was walking: a poster for Papa Grows Funk's farewell tour show at Brick & Mortar. FAREWELL TOUR?! I had no idea! Apparently they're playing a final show on June 29th at Tipitina's in New Orleans, but their last San Francisco show is next Friday night in the Mission. 


While I'll be glad to have my car back once Matt's is fixed (it gets tricky when I babysit in the North Bay), I may stick to walking more of the time. I'm such a go-go-go fast paced person that I tend to want to get somewhere as fast as I can. But I've learned that while walking may take longer, I see things I never would have noticed before about my city.

Do you ever walk around in your city/town?

17 comments:

AmericanBridget (Jones) said...

Tikki masala burrito? I think that might just be considered heaven on earth. My mouth is watering just thinking of it.

Dallas is home to a plethora of amazing food venues and food trucks, but Indian is totally lacking here. I've found one go-to Indian restaurant here and it is my staple.

I miss Indian Oven in The Haight...so bad.

Dee Stephens said...

How fun about that band!!! WOOT!! I agree, SF is walkable but having a car is VERY nice. :)

Jane Droll said...

walking around a city is such a win/win, especially in a beautiful and colorful city like sf!!! i wish i could do more of it!

i usually go for walks on saturdays. even when i walk around in my neighborhood (that i have lived in for about 8 years), i still manage to see new things. a good walk ALWAYS makes me feel better. and sometimes it even cures a bad mood. no joke. ;)

6 in Love said...

Same as you- no way to walk in the suburbs of ATL. Unless you consider walking the track of the local HS for exercise.

However, I studied in Cambridge, England for a semester. We had bikes, and rode or walked everywhere. It was fabulous. I loved it. Wait, I loved it when it wasn't pouring rain. But, it was such a different way of life, and I miss it.

Glad you were able to enjoy yourself on your walks!

Helene said...

I live in Dallas, we hardly walk ANYWHERE. it's just all so spread out. i am so jealous that you can walk. I think that's awesome.

Tiffany @ Polka Dotted Cats said...

When I lived in a little part of the city, I walked to bars, restaurants, and to my friends' apartments. It was so refreshing! Now I'm back in the burbs and only walking distance from 7-11.

What a great way to explore the city and enjoy the weather! AND save gasoline :-)

Kim @ Slice of Life said...

i walk around EVERYWHERE!!

lol, but seriously ...as annoying as it can be (especially when it's raining or snowing) it is really nice to live somewhere where you don't HAVE to drive (and also nice that I can drive if I feel like it!) especially when drinknig!

Kathy said...

i live in the burbs which means you have to drive to get anywhere...but i LOVE walking around downtown, esp in the summer!

Kat@shop.school.sleep. said...

i'm smack in the middle of a "college town" yet I can't really walk to things because most stores are still pretty far away (and I'm lazy). I have 2 starbucks, lost of fast food, grocery store within walking distance. A Target and Khols I could technically walk to, but again I'm lazy and drive there hahaha

Aubrey S. said...

The walk-ability of SF was one of my favorite things about the city when we visited.

SMD @ lifeaccordingtosteph said...

Philadelphia is a pretty walkable city within the Center City district. I walk around all the time.

I loved San Francisco and how walkable it was...but walking from Lombard to the Embarcadero down near the piers, I felt like I was going to fall since it was so steep!

Megan said...

When we lived in Oakland for that short period of time, we walked EVERYWHERE. I can recall walking around Lake Merritt with wet hair to go to an appointment about a half mile away. And I was unprepared for the chilly breezes that morning! Jacob used to walk to and from work every morning. It just felt so normal around there to walk. I might add that I lost some legit weight from all the hills.

In New Orleans it is a common practice to walk all over. However, if you walk on side the road where we live, you are seen as someone who does not have transportation and you might be seen as sort of sketchy. I wish I lived in a big city where I could walk around/bike more.

By the way, I started blogging again. Just keeping it very simple and stress free.

http://questionablepriorities.wordpress.com

Matthew Snope said...

Ugh, my own pet peeve: when people used "deconstruct" or "deconstructed". Hee hee.

Glad you got to walk, even though you were carless. I appreciate your flexibility and sharing. Herzog is right: walking is the most virtuous way to travel. I especially like to walk real, real slow.

sheba said...

I want to go to the Curry place with you!

We walk a lot in NYC [and take the subway], but since living in Queens, not Brooklyn, we drive more, which has given me a different perspective of the city b/c I'm above ground at points where I'm usually underground on the train.

Leesh said...

I live by a mall so I always walk to it and when I commute into the city for work, I always walk around.

I love walking around in the summer exploring but not so much in the winter.

Sierra {Ocean Dreams} said...

When I was in AZ a few weekends ago I was without a car and I had no groceries! Luckily the grocery store was only 2 miles away each way, but I also did not have any running shoes with me. I made do but it was a pain in the but. If I would have had a bike or something that would have made things a whole lot easier.

Shoshanah said...

Curry Up sounds so delicious! Of course in general I'm a fan of Indian food, but it sounds like such a unique spin on it.

And no, I don't really walk places. But Baton Rouge really is not built was walking. I couldn't get over how few sidewalks there were when I moved it, but I guess it's just not a walking city.