Monday, April 22, 2013

I need a day off after my weekend

We had one of those weekends that was so busy we hardly knew it happened. Granted, it was busy with all good things (friends + wine + good food + sunshine + kids), but nary a moment of rest. ;) It's starting to get gorgeous in California, so I'm gearing up to be outside as much as possible. This weekend was a good start!

On Friday, we had some of Matt's buddies over for dinner, drinks, an an impromptu viewing of the Here Comes Honey Boo Boo Thanksgiving special. I made this delicious vegan "chili"that will definitely become a regular in the rotation:


It was incredibly easy and so good.

On Saturday, I got up and planted veggies with my neighbor Doug (he's letting me take over the vegetable garden, so we've been hard at work buying & planting delicious things!), went on a hike through the Piedmont Cemetery with my friend Anna (you can see Oakland and San Francisco from the top of the cemetery--I wish I'd had my phone to take pics!), and then came home to shower before our dear friends Helen and Matt came over for dinner. It was so good to see them. Helen just signed a contract for a tenure-track position teaching glass blowing at the University of Wisconsin Madison (!!!!) so we had a lot to celebrate. She's a big deal.

We had both Matt's kids all day Sunday and as usually, it was so nice to have them together. We stopped and met the Freitags outside in Marin so that Milo and Jude could meet Maya, and it made me so happy having all of them together. My two California families! :)

Jasper, Milo, Jude

me, Maya, Milo's Spiderman hat

Maya postin' up like a thug in Oakland

Daddy + daughter

She wanted to put on lipstick ;)

Jasper is so sweet with Maya. Sadly, he wasn't feeling good yesterday so he hardly moved from the couch, but even while under the weather, he's incredibly tender with his little sister. 

It was sad dropping the kiddos off yesterday evening, so Matt and I stopped at a Mexican restaurant to ward off the Sunday blues, where I indulged in some incredibly yummy cheese enchiladas. But today, it's back to the healthy-eating grind. Ugh, MONDAY.

Hope all of you had happy weekends! Fill me in on what you were up to.

11 comments:

Kate Kiefer said...

cute kiddos!

Kathy said...

so cute! love her gangsta pose :) i had an unwelcome intrusion all weekend but it's much better now.

Leesh said...

You did have a busy weekend, I can see why you would need a day off. I had trouble getting to work, I just didn't want to go but once I got there I was fine.

Happy Monday, hope it was a good one.

Deals, Steals and Heels said...

miss maya seems like such a character...my kind of little lady!!

and i swear, somehow milo and jude get cuter and cuter!!

Meg O. said...

What a fun weekend! I love her lipstick... lol. And I need to try that chili!!!

Dee Stephens said...

Super cute kiddos! Can't wait for a stop in Marin!

Jessie said...

I had the same kind of crazy weekend- I was planning on a low-key one, but that didn't happen! Unfortunately mine wasn't full of as much fun as yours was! ;)

Meghan said...

Maya is just a little doll. And your weekends always sound fantastic to me - probably because they're filled with good food and wine:)

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

Okay Maya seriously has to be the cutest little kid ever!

Chic 'n Cheap Living said...

You get to be with such a cute bunch of kids! Ooh and quinoa chili - yes please!

xoxo,
Chic 'n Cheap Living

Jane Droll said...

little miss maya looks like TROUBLE!!!! bet she will give you guys a run for your money!!!

weekends are never long enough. i get stressed out thinking of all the things i need to do on saturday and sunday. ugh! never enough time!