Saturday, April 13, 2013

Taxes Suck.

In the past, I've never really minded doing my taxes, because I've always had W-2s, and TurboTax makes it pretty easy when taxes have been taken out of your checks each month and you don't have any assets/houses/retirements/etc. In fact, I've always been eager to do mine, because I've always gotten a refund! This year, however, was different.

I taught for the first half of the year (and received a W-2 from my former employer), and then I started full (ish) time at Voice of Witness in September (I also received a W-2 for that). But for five months (the last couple months I taught and then through the summer), I worked part-time/contract for Voice of Witness. Which means no taxes were taken out and I received a 1099. I was terrified that I was going to owe the IRS a shitload of money!


That was my scene yesterday. I broke into the wine halfway through because the process damn near sent me into a full-fledged anxiety attack. I had no idea how involved taxes were when you have 1099 and deductions to file. It took me hours to get through this tedious process . . . hours of scouring my bank records for our monthly PG&E bills, looking for how much interest I paid on my car loan, trying to remember how much my laptop cost when I bought it. Crazy, right? I am amazed that people do this for a living. I wouldn't last a day.


Neil Young was no help. Rather, he spent the afternoon cradling a wine cork snuggled up next to his preferred parent. ;)

In the end, though, it was more than worth it. I didn't owe the IRS anything; in fact, I will get a teeny little refund! Nothing compared to what I've gotten in years past, but frankly, I was just incredibly relieved that I didn't owe.

This process exhausted me so much that I didn't have the energy for anything more than lying on the couch watching the trashiest tv around. Ah, sweet relief. And next year, I will only have W-2s, so the process won't be anywhere near as grueling. 

Happy weekend! I hope you all have fun plans. It's gorgeous in San Francisco today, and therefore I regret to say that I will be spending the afternoon indoors facilitating a training. But here's to hiking weather!

14 comments:

Christina said...

Good for you! I haven't done my own taxes since I was single, with one W-2. Jacob owns a business and everything is so mind boggling to me! And yay for a little return!

Leesh said...

Taxes give me anxiety too so that's why I always put it off but the April 30th deadline is coming up. I'm going to take a cue from you and have come alcohol when I do my taxes.

Kathy said...

and this is why i pay my accountant to do it for me...it would drive me bananas going through all my stuff!

Kat@shop.school.sleep. said...

I have never done my own taxes...my parent's tax person did them when I was a teen and first started working and college years, then Matt did them when we married and now we found a friend of a friend whose a tax guy...the whole process terrifies me!! kudos for doign them yourself :) and NY looks adorable!!

Brianna said...

This was so me last year even though I was lucky to have my taxes taken out... it was my first time actually doing taxes myself and I was literally in tears cuz it was such a headache... I'm just a pansy and hate anything that takes more than 2 minutes haha Glad to hear you get a refund!!! I always try and act like it's bonus money & spend it on something frivolous but now I obviously know better and that IT WAS MY MONEY IN THE FIRST PLACE haha I'm going to try and save it a bit.

AmericanBridget (Jones) said...

The most important component in your first picture is that glass of red wine. Smart decision!

Amy Green @ Sweet Home Amy said...

Good for you!! I haven't done my own taxes in years; having an accounting degree I've usually worked for a CPA or had CPA firms as clients, so I have had good resources to do mine for me. But this year I'm going to have to take them to someone. I have half a year of W2 and half on 1099, so I'm just hoping to break even! I'm filing an extension this Monday though, I haven't had time to even look at them.

Dee Stephens said...

I was a self contractor for several years and paid quarterly. I also hired someoned to figure everything out. Totally worth it..

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

Ugh I hate taxes, so glad to have it all over with for the year!

Micaela said...

Hurray for your refund!

Maddie does taxes for a living and has texted me when she is leaving work at 11 PM! She even had to go into work on the weekends the past few weeks. I can't imagine either. Thanks to her, I've never had to do my own taxes. Isn't that crazy?

I giggled reading, "to his preferred parent." HA!

you two are such great parents :)

Aubrey S. said...

I was shocked to find that we didn't owe this year either...since we bought my company, I had just reconciled myself to the idea that I would be writing a check each year, but not this year.

A tip, keep all the receipts that might seem relevant, just in case. I have a folder for each month. Then I can easily go back and look for the exact bill if I need it.

H. Gillham said...

and you live in California. Nuff said.

I love the picture of Neil Young with his foot propped on Matt. It makes me happy.

I love cats.

:-)

Jane Droll said...

oh the tax thing. it can be so stressful!!!

i claim zero each year so that i KNOW i will get a refund. people say that is stupid -- paying too much up front (& giving the government an interest free loan on my money) in order to ensure a refund. i don't think it is stupid because i LIKE getting a fat refund each year.

i have been doing the turbo tax thing for years. this year my return was a little different. when i printed it out it was over FIFTY PAGES LONG!!!!!!!!! insane!!!! i don't even own a home!!!! but i had a lot of donations and deductions, so i guess that was why it was so long.

Shoshanah said...

Our taxes shouldn't have been that bad since my husband and I each only worked for 1 company this year. Except somehow my husband wound up with 4 w-2. They changed payroll systems, so he got two W-2 for one job. And the other two were pretty random as well. Which made it worse was that one of his W-2 was incorrect, which we didn't realize till after we filled taxes, so we had to go back and refile. Hopefully next year will be a little easier!