Thursday, May 23, 2013

Beaches

Not the incredibly devastating 80's movie, but our beloved California beaches.

Sometimes, I get overwhelmed by how expensive it is to live here. I have to pay a $6 bridge toll every day that I work in the office and/or babysit, parking is ridiculously expensive, and rents are astronomical. But our easy access to multiple beaches totally helps soften the financial blow.

On Sunday, we took Matt's kids to a little beach just five minutes from our house--it's on the bay side, so no ocean waves, but there's sand & water and you can see the Golden Gate Bridge.

it's not really yellow--that's just the instagram filter I used!

Jasper likes to wade out & get super muddy, while Maya was entertained by a tiny (dead) crab she found. 


If we want to go to a real ocean beach, there are plenty of other options within a short drive, but this one is only a mile or so away and has a great running path for when I'm feeling motivated. 


Now that I've lived in the bay area for almost 10 years, I don't know that I could ever live somewhere that wasn't near water. Our beaches aren't exactly warm, but they sure are beautiful (Baker Beach, the one in my blog header, is my fave). 

And speaking of beaches, a week from today the Freitags and I leave for the French Riviera! We're flying into Nice and staying at a beautiful villa in Antibes (just between Cannes and Nice, right on the Mediterranean Sea) for a little over a week, and then driving to Florence, Italy for a few days before flying home. 

I suspect it is going to be majestic: 


Have any of you been? I've been to Paris twice, but never to the south of France. So excited!

13 comments:

Kat@shop.school.sleep. said...

I love the movie Beaches!! and am jealous you love so close to one. I dream of moving to a beach city, but my job keeps me inland. I ahve been to Paris as well and would love to visit the south of France some day, have fun!!

Zoƫ said...

I've been to Nice! But it was March so not as nice as it probably is now weather-wise, but absolutely gorgeous. I loved it and Florence was my favourite city in Italy (I was there on the same trip, we drove also!) from the week I spent there. You're going to have an incredible trip, can't wait to see your photos :)

Leesh said...

The Freitags always take you to awesome places. I keep thinking about that gorgeous place you went to in Cabo with the daily guacamole and beer!

Deals, Steals and Heels said...

i am so jealous of your trip, and your easy access to beaches!! 4 hours to the FL panhandle isn't too bad...but it's no hop, skip and jump!

Kathy said...

ugh i hate our "beach". it's not even a beach since you can't go in the water. it's just a big sand pit.

Tiffany @ Polka Dotted Cats said...

The South of France?!?! Stop with the fabulousness. Omg.

Maya is my favorite little blondie!

Jane Droll said...

beach love! and you are 5 minutes away?!?!?! that is incredible!!!! i am about an hour or so away from a beach, and the parking and crowds can be such a deterrent. but whatever. i still love the beach. i think we are heading to hermosa beach tomorrow if all goes as planned. fingers crossed.

and THE FRENCH RIVIERA IN A WEEK!?!?!?! you lucky thing!!! my co-worker and his gf are heading to paris for their annual 5-week vacation. i am insanely jealous.

Meghan said...

Ok, I am officially jealous of your trip! What an AMAZING week you have planned! Post lots of pics!

Shoshanah said...

I was in Nice in high school! I don't remember a ton, but I do remember going to a seafood restaurant close to the beach and having an awesome meal. And going parasailing the next day. I could be wrong, but do remember the sand having a ton of shells and rocks and not being that comfortable. But even so, still remember a few women laying at topless there. I would love to go back now, and am a little jealous of your trip. I'm sure you're going to have an awesome time!

Brianna said...

OH I can't wait to hear about your trip!!! I'm so incredibly jealous and in desperate need of a vacay! Love being in California (either north or south) and being able to go to the beach (:

sheba said...

I never quite understood when Emil would continually tell me he needs to live near "greenspace," but more recently I have begun to really enjoy the parks and beaches NYC has to offer. I just took up outdoor running and I can't imagine doing it al on concrete!

I imagine your trip is going to be ridiculously fabulous and I am ridiculously jealous! ;)

Kristin W said...

Hope you're having fun in France!! I'm the same way though. While we still live 2 hours from the beach, but I can't imagine being land locked. The beach is one of my favorite places in the world...

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Love Baker!!