Thursday, May 2, 2013

Meowpocalypse: Meal Young

I have always, always wanted a dog. And I was in the process of searching for just the right dog when, in late December, someone posted this picture on Facebook, saying that this kitten had been thrown out the window of a moving car and desperately needed a home:


He was 2.5 pounds, had a broken tooth, reeked of cigarettes, and was swarming with fleas . . . how could we say no?

Despite the trauma he'd endured, this little kitten bonded to us instantly. He jumped into Matt's lap when we came to get him, followed us around, and wedged himself between us when we slept. Pretty dreamy. Plus, look how little he was!


We were smitten. But as he got older, and his fangs got sharper, his true colors began to emerge. He waged a war on our ankles, insisted on eating everything in sight, and freaked out if he wasn't in the constant company of humans. Sometimes I swear he is Ignatius reincarnate. 

The food obsession thing began to get a little out of control. We were starting to worry this new little kitten of ours was going to eat us out of house & home. See exhibits A-E:


He's a big boy now (only 6 months, but I swear he's already the size of a full-grown cat!) and despite the fact that he:
  • chewed up my $80 computer charger 
  • has been known to maul my face

  • ate my favorite eyeliner brush
  • howls like he's being murdered when he can see me out in the garden and isn't allowed outside
. . . despite all those things, we can't help but love him. I mean just look at him now:


(The vet says he tries to nurse on my neck cause he was taken from his mama too early)

Matt named him Neil Young, but these days we mostly call him Meal. ha! Jude--the toddler I babysit--thinks his name is "Meal Young," and it's just stuck.

We love you, Meal, even though you're a monster!

link up your pet story here!

19 comments:

April said...

You're so good to have saved him. :) He's going to be a HUGE cat. Good luck. haha

SMD @ lifeaccordingtosteph said...

I'm glad you saved him!

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

I don't get how people can be so cruel to animals? Like open your door and let it go - that's already horrific enough - but to throw a cat out of a moving car?! Good thing for little Meal that he has loving parents now :)

Cats scare me (did I ever tell you my Cat Scratch Fever story?) but he sure is adorable!

Tiffany @ Polka Dotted Cats said...

The neck smoochies! Oh how I love Meal, even though he is a little terror! Ugh he is so adorable though.

Thank you for linking up!

AmericanBridget (Jones) said...

Yes, he is Ignatius's lost cousin. I swear he is.

I'm glad you rescued this little creature. I just hope you still have room in your heart to rescue a beagle some day as well.

Jane {In the Pink and Green} said...

So I am not really a cat person (the totally scare me a little bit) but your cat is really cute, I love his blue eyes! And so sweet that you saved him! Also, it's funny you call him Meal, our dog's name is Lola but some how when she was a puppy we started calling her Lola Beans and that just got shortened to Beans, aka what we call her most of the time :)

robayre said...

Oh my gosh, I didn't know NeilYoung was a biter too! Guess what, if you think he is big now, I've read that ragdolls continue to grow until they are 2-4 years old. Bishop topped out at 12lbs, just another reason why we believe he is a mix.

Kana said...

Ha ha ha, I love his bright but blank eyes in the face-maul picture! When they get squirrely like that, it really looks like they're just waiting for a thought to turn up - not a thing in their head. Like, nobody's home, but the lights are not only on but strobing wildly. :P

Kat@shop.school.sleep. said...

Maybe Kors is a ragdoll... when we got him (new year's 2 years ago) he was solo sick and we had to give him medicine, but he hated it...so matt would hold him down and I gave him the medicine...one night we switched and I didn't hold Kors down hard enough and he pierced my nose!!!! Claw straight into my nose!!

Meal/Neil Young is too cute!! and he's just like Spade with the eating...she's more like a dog and begs for scraps of human food. She loves any and all fruit and Matt feeds her yogurt...spoiled brat

Kathy said...

are you sure he's not a dog? because i've never known cats to eat stuff other than their own food. regardless, he's adorable

Brianna said...

he is so so cute! I love hearing Neil (Meal) Young stories (: they make my day THAT much better!

starnes family said...

Worth every bit of effort. Punkin.

Deals, Steals and Heels said...

i swear, it's the cutest ones that cause the most terror!! everyone's all "ohhh, your pug is so adorable and precious!!".

yeah, he is. but he also eats poop and tried to stab me with scissors once.

traci's mixed bag said...

Holy cow! Meal Young and JMEOWW are a match made in hell. He is pretty.

Sara Elizabeth said...

aw he's precious! Our cat, Felix, was about the same size as your baby when we got him & he is the SAME way with food, it's crazy! He especially loves yogurt and will chase you down if he sees you eating it lol

Christina said...

I didn't know his back story. How sad! Good for you guys for taking him in!! He's so adorable! Your poor face though.

daniela said...

Oh I wish I'd known about this link up sooner as I enjoy any excuse to talk about Koko LOL

But I do always love hearing about not-so-little Meal :))

Jane Droll said...

HE IS SO FREAKING CUTE!!! just adorable!!!!

and he has personality plus. i think they all do!

i hope he settles down as he gets older. USUALLY they do. although my cat simba is probably 8 years old, and he is still a fireball. but in the last year or so he has started cuddling with me -- just a little bit. it is nice. very, very nice. :)

nicoleciomek said...

I love him! So cute!! I have my own little hellion of a kitten. After they hit 1-2 years things calm (slightly). Enjoy!