Wednesday, May 8, 2013

My New Hobby

For years, my downstairs neighbor, Doug, has been tending to our little garden space out back. This year, I decided I wanted to learn, so he agreed to teach me & hand over the reins. He and I have spent lots of time together over the past month or so buying starts, planting, watering, reading, caging, & getting excited about the vegetables that I hope will be plentiful in late summer!

We had to start by tilling the space (it's about 7 feet x 7 feet) and creating hills and valleys so the water could flow through without getting the leaves wet (which will create mildew). I should have taken a before pic, but here's what it looked like a couple of weeks ago after we'd planted almost everything:


We planted corn, Dixie squash, heirloom tomato, cherry tomato, cucumber, zucchini, red bell pepper, basil, cilantro, and lettuce. We already had fingerling potatoes, chives, and oregano growing along the margins. The maturation date on all these things varies pretty greatly--the cherry tomato should produce the soonest (about 50 days after planting).

Because I'd been bitten by the gardening bug hard & this wasn't enough, I bought a string bean plant and potted it with trellis behind the pot (they need something to grow up!). I also got an artichoke which is currently living in a pot, but eventually needs to be put in the ground, as they get very big! My windowsill has a little tomato, red pepper, and a few strawberry plants. :)

Imagine my excitement when I discovered that my squash plant is already boasting two teeny baby squashes! 


Aren't they adorable?! I cannot wait till they're big enough to eat. There isn't much more satisfying than eating right out of your garden. The cherry tomato plant is about five times as big as it was when we planted it, too!


Now all I need to do is learn how to make my own mozzarella so we can have truly home-grown caprese salads this summer.

I thought watering & upkeep would be a lot of work, but I am so excited to get out there every day. I even go sit by the garden on days when it doesn't need any water, just to admire the plants. I can't believe I didn't do this sooner! It almost makes me want to move to the country so I could have acres of vegetables and fruits planted . . . but not quite. Ha. 

So basically I'm trying to talk everyone I know into planting something, even if it's just in a pot on your deck. So satisfying.

Do you have any new hobbies of late? Tell me about them!

11 comments:

April said...

I want a garden like yours so badly!! I do have some basil growing right now, and some flowering plant/bush that has already outgrown the huge post I planted it in. EEP!

Tiffany @ Polka Dotted Cats said...

I so envy your skills! I can't keep a houseplant, or even a succulent garden alive!

Lesley said...

i clearly love this.

Brianna said...

so fun! my grandparents live back east on a toooooon of land and have a huge garden- I always envy it! Someday... someday (:

Deals, Steals and Heels said...

i keep saying i want to plant an herb garden or something but never do! it just gets SO hot here, and once you forget to water something one day...it's alllllll downhill.

Taylor said...

Yaaaay! There is such a great thing about eating from your garden. Seriously home grown is the best!

AmericanBridget (Jones) said...

You may have inspired me to start growing stuff of my own. Except that with 3 dogs who run around and dig up my backyard, I'd be afraid they would eat everything I planted. I know they would! However, I could do some potting and maybe some side gardening on the other side of the house away from the canines. Hmmmmmmm.....

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

You've got a green thumb for sure! I can't even keep an aloe plant alive.

undomestic mama said...

I love this! i love pretty landscaping but have a hard time keeping it alive.

Jane Droll said...

it IS very satisfying to grow your own stuff! for reals!

i have some geraniums that i am trying to resurrect after neglecting them all winter.

i have many, many cacti and succulents that seem to be doing pretty well. apparently i do best with plants that don't need much care. lol. that is kind of a joke -- i have some houseplants that have lasted over a dozen years.

meghan said...

This is so cool! I love that you do it and get so much enjoyment from it. It's something that I've always thought of doing, but I don't have a green thumb and I don't know if I'd have the patience to water and tend to it everyday. I'm excited to see follow up posts once you're able to eat the veggies!