Thursday, May 16, 2013

What I Would Say #tbt

I went to college with my best friend Tiffany. We were already inseparable, but after our close friend died when we were 15, we needed each other more than most best friends do, I guess. We applied to some of the same colleges and some different ones, but the decision was pretty easy when we were both accepted to Tulane.


This picture was taken after we'd finished assembling our dorm room. It was very pink. 

What I would say to my newly-18-year-old-self: 
  • YOU ARE 18 AND IN NEW ORLEANS. The boy you think you love back at home is not all he's cracked up to be. Quit crying over him & go out and meet new people. 
  • Don't prioritize love so much anyway. Relationships at 18 mostly don't last. 
  • Signing up for an 8 am class, or even a 9 am class, will make you miserable. Don't do it.
  • Make more friends on your hall. You are lucky to have your best friend, but you two should open up more. 
  • Don't be so hard on your body. When you're 31, you'll wish you had your 18 year old body back!
  • Stop taking everything so seriously.
There are things I'm proud of, though. I knew what I wanted education-wise right off the bat. I declared my English major freshman year, got a job in the English department sophomore year, became Poetry Editor of our literary magazine sophomore year, and then became Editor junior year. It was great experience that exposed me to a lot of poets, nationally, took me to conferences, etc. I ran the literary lecture series and met lots of incredible writers (Jessica Hagedorn, Edwidge Danticat, Andrei Codrescu, among others).

Isn't it funny, looking back on our younger selves? Link up with my dear "real life" friend Jessie for What I Would Say #throwbackthursday:

17 comments:

Jessie said...

SO many of your words ring true for me, too. Especially the relationship advice- AND the body advice!!

Love you! Thanks for playing along! :)

Erin @ Sassin Southern Style said...

All I can say is A. Men.

undomestic mama said...

I love this! How silly girls are at 18...

6 in Love said...

I would say some of the same things to my 18 yr old self! Love this.

starnes family said...

LSU was hard enough.....actually IN Nola.....even more difficult to focus! What fun we had, though.

Deals, Steals and Heels said...

those 8am classes are THE WORST. i made that mistake fall semester freshman year...and never again.

Kat@shop.school.sleep. said...

I didn't mind the 8 am classes because then I could hang out with my sorority sisters all afternoon before work

DeAnna Stephens said...

Love this!! There are so many things I would tell my 18-year old self too new in college too.
* Don't schedule a 7:30am math class and think you can skip and still pass
* Don't think you don't have to study and can still pass
* Don't eat Taco Bell at 2am several times a week and then wonder why you're fat
LOL!!! :)

Amy Shaughnessy said...

Oh yeah. The one about not being hard on my body. I was just talking about this the other night!!

Amy

Fashion and Beauty Finds

Jane Droll said...

you were so focused and driven at such a young age! incredible!

and you are so right about the young love thing. and the body thing. i would kill to have my 18-year old body, but at the time it was nothing special. but a lot better than this 42-year old body i am carting around. lol

Tiffany @ Polka Dotted Cats said...

This is so wonderful! And I don't actually remember going to one of the 8am classes I signed up for...ever. It is a miracle I graduated...

Meghan said...

Ahh! You are too cute, Claire! And AMEN to all of your advice. I wish I could give College Meghan lots of wise words:)

H. Gillham said...

I remember those "young" girls.

:-)

Kristin W said...

Good advice! I don't really have regrets, but there are definitely things I would have told my younger, college self. It always blows my mind how much we change in our younger (and maybe even older?) years...

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

I SO need to do a post like this. I would kick my 18 year old ass!

Down and Out Chic said...

I wish someone had told me to not sign up for 8am classes. It seems like such an adult thing to do at the time though. UGH, what a mistake.

nicoleciomek said...

Yes, I think a lot of what I would tell myself at 18 was not to be so hard on myself and to talk to more people.

And no 8am classes. That was so dumb.